Chapter 23: Showtime

"Don't worry, Jo. I'm gonna be right behind you with every step you take." Luka murmured from behind me. My confidence about this whole thing was wavering but I knew I was safe. The weigh of the crown provided a sort of grounding, I ran my hands down the incredible gown Addison gave me.

The entire ball gown was a vibrant red with flowers sewn into the bodice. The off the shoulder straps flowed into a beautiful lace cape. Skylar had braided my hair into a simple updo. But the ballgown paired with the crown gave me a mature look. Correction: it made me look like a queen.

"When will he be coming in?" I asked Luka in a hushed voice. We decided that I wouldn't come out at first. But at the right moment, me and the rescued pack members would come out at the same time. I was currently standing behind a door directly behind the dais. It was cracked open just enough for me to see inside.

"Just a few more minutes." Luka said, putting a hand on my shoulder. "Everybody is in place. This will work out just fine."

I nodded at him and continued to peak through the door. Nik was already seated on the throne with his parents standing on either side of him. Ella stood off to the side with Skylar. Jeriah was to join them when we all stepped out. There were staff members standing around the room, all of whom had been briefed on the situation.

Suddenly the doors across the from the throne opened and there he was, strutting in like he was the king. Zeke was exactly how I remembered him. Cold, calculating. My heart dropped when I saw Jeremiah behind him. He didn't strut like Zeke did. Instead, he kept his eyes trained on Zeke's back, a deep seeded hatred in his eyes. A few of the other pack warriors trailed behind them until they all came to a stop in front of Nik. The whole room was quiet, waiting for someone to speak.

"So you asked for an audience with me." Nik said, voice ice cold. "What is it you want to talk about?"

"Your majesty, I have reason to believe there is a witch residing in your kingdom." Zeke said with a slight smirk. I looked back at Luka and rolled my eyes. "She may have found some way to sneak in and is in hiding with a few more of my pack members. She imbedded herself in my pack and then attacked us. We'd like your permission to search for them."

"A witch huh?" Nik said with a quick laugh. "What makes you think she's a witch? Please do tell."

"She was seen doing black magic." Zeke said confidently. Jeremiah glanced at Nik then back at Zeke.

"By who?" Nik responded almost comically. If Zeke wanted to play this game then Nik would play. And he would win.

"By a couple of our pack members." Zeke shrugged. "They said she did a spell to make me think that she was my mate. Then she killed a few of my men and fled."

"Well that is interesting." Nik said, leaning back on his throne lazily. "Tell me, why do you have reason to believe that she is here?"

"I've sent out a few warriors to search for her and bring her back. So I can bring her to justice." Zeke told him. "They told me through the mind link that they believed they found her here. A few hours later, they were dead. She killed them."

"That's quite the assumption to make." Nik said, laughing again. "Anybody could have killed them. I can question my men. Maybe your guys were caught crossing our border. They might have been mistaken for rogues."

"With all due respect, your majesty." Zeke cut in. "I know it was her. The whole thing reeks of black magic. I beg of you, let me and my men search the city. She's here. I know it."

"I'll have to think about that for a moment." Nik said, leaning forward. "I'll have to ask my mate for advice if you don't mind. She's soon to be queen and could benefit from dealing with conflict like this."

"I don't mind at all, your majesty." He said, bowing his head slightly. "It would be an honor to meet the future queen."

"I was hoping you would say that." Nik replied, standing up. He turned slightly to look at the door.

"Just breathe. Stand up straight and keep your head held high." Luka whispered. "It's showtime."

"My love, would you join me please?" Nik said, extending his hand. Deciding to take Lukas advice, I took a deep and straightened my back.

No going back now. I nodded at Luka. He stepped forward and opened the door for me.