Chapter 11: The Rescue

Nikos

"Is everything ready to go?" I asked Luka as we approached the Ketish pack border. I glanced in the rearview mirror and saw the other black SUVs behind us.

"Yes. Put your game face on. There's someone at the entrance." He said, slowing to a stop. When he rolled the window, a young man approached the car.

"State your business." The man said roughly. Awe the wee pup wants to look scary. Too bad it won't work.

"My name is Luka. This is King Nikos." Luka explained. The mans eyes darted to me and back to Luka. "We're going from pack to pack, looking to buy slaves. We need more workers in the castle. Is your alpha here?"

"No he's not." He said, his eyes going hazy. After a moment, his eyes went back to normal. "He's given you permission to enter. He said you can buy who you want for the right amount."

"Well then lead us to the pack house. We'd be happy to discuss prices." Luka said. The man nodded and gestured us forward. Luka rolled up the window and started driving again. "Shame the alpha isn't here. But this will work even better now."

I agreed with him as the pack house came into view. The man was already in motion, ushering people out of the house. They lined up as we got out of our vehicles. Every one of them had their heads down. I walked around to stand in front of them and nodded to Luka, who asked the man to go inside and discuss a price. Once they were gone, my men came to stand between me and the pack house to make sure no one else came out.

I walked down the line of people slowly, looking for the description Johanna gave me. I finally spotted her halfway down the line. I walked up to her at a casual pace. No one had looked up yet.

"Skylar?" I asked when I stood in front of her. She nodded but still kept her eyes on the ground. I looked around before saying what Johanna told me to say. "The sun only shines when you smile."

Her head shot up and her eyes went wide. She looked around at the rest of the people as they slowly started to look at me.

"Only Jo says that to me." She said in a hushed voice. The others picked up on that instantly. "She's with you? She's safe?"

"She's safe. She's my mate." I didn't think it was possible for her eyes to get any wider but they did. "I've come here to rescue you. All of you. And Jeriah too."

"I can get him. Zeke keeps him locked up in a room upstairs. He only gets to come a few minutes every day." She told me quickly. "Jeremiah won't go though. Zeke uses the alpha order on him. He's tried everything but he can't fight back."

"I understand. For now let's get you guys in the trucks." I told them. "Grab what you can and hurry."

"Wait! Can my mother come?" A young boy asked. "I'm all she has."

"Of course. Go get her and get back to the cars." I said. They wasted no time rushing off. "Take me to Jeriah's room."

Skylar nodded and took off into the house. I followed her up the stairs to the third floor and down the hall. She took out a ring full of keys and started searching for the right one. Just as she was about to insert the key, a man turned the corner down the hall. I knew who he was in an instant. The resemblance between him and Johanna was striking.

"What are you doing, Skylar?" Jeremiah demanded. He quickly walked down the hall and stopped a few feet away. I ushered Skylar behind me.

"I am King Nikos. I'm here because a mutual friend sent me." I told him. I tried not to give him too much information and hoped he would just pick up on it. I didn't need him telling Zeke everything. "I'm here to rescue Skylar and your brother. A few others are coming as well."

"Please Jer. Help me save him. Let me take him to her." Skylar begged. He looked back and forth between us, eyes going wide. A few seconds later, he sighed.

"Don't forget his teddy bear. He'll freak if he doesn't have it." He said quietly. "I'm gonna head downstairs. It's best if I don't see too much."

He said nothing else as he walked away. I nodded at Skylar and she opened the door. Poor kid was huddled in the corner, terrified. Skylar moved around the room, quickly gathering his things. I approached him slowly and crouched down next to him. He hugged his little bear so tightly.

"Jeriah? Buddy, my name is Nikos." I told him calmly. "I'm gonna take you to your sister. Would you like that?"

He nodded and my heart hurt as he quickly threw his arms around me. I picked him up with ease and carried him out of the room. Skylar was ready to go. We got down to the cars with no problem. Everyone else was already there and loaded up. I let Skylar sit up front because Jeriah wouldn't let go. Within seconds, we were on the road, heading home.

"It'll take them awhile to figure out the money is fake." Luka said from the front seat. I nodded at him and readjusted Jeriah so he would be more comfortable.

"Are you my sisters mate?" Jeriah asked quietly.

"Yeah buddy I am." I told him. He sighed and laid his head on my chest. I watched as his eyes started to flutter close.

"I knew it." He whispered. "That means you'll take care of us."

You have no idea, little man. No idea at all.