Chapter 5: Mate

We stared at each other for what seemed like forever. Lyla finally decided to wake up and was going completely crazy in my mind. So many questions ran through my mind. I couldn't even process what was happening. He finally blinked and took a step towards me.

"Wait!" I practically shouted. He stopped immediately and a shocked look crossed his face. "I don't understand. I had a mate."

"What?" He whispered, trading his shocked expression for a more confused one.

"I had a mate and he rejected me. I don't get it. Why is this happening?" I started rambling but I couldn't stop it. "My wolf kept saying we needed to come here. She brought me to this kingdom."

"She brought you to me." He said quietly. "Let's just take this slowly then. My name is Nikos."

I froze as his words registered. The king. The universe was playing some sick joke on me. I couldn't go through what I just escaped from. Please don't let him be like Zeke.

"Ella's brother? You're the king?" I asked, almost taking a step back.

"You've met Ella?" He asked with a small smile. "I hope she didn't bother you too much. She can be a bit much."

"She was great. She was the one who found me." I said timidly. "We spent all day together, seeing the city. It was nice."

"Well I'm glad she took care of you." He said, taking a hesitant step towards me. "What's your name?"

"My name is Johanna Hayes. I'm from the Ketish pack." I told him, fighting the urge to step away. I wanted to trust him, I really did. But in the beginning, I trusted Zeke too.

"Johanna." He said to himself, as if tasting the name. "It's nice to meet you. It's pretty late. Can't sleep?"

"Me and Ella were watching movies in the theater and she fell asleep. I was trying to find my room but I got lost." I said with a nervous laugh.

"I'll let Luka know to go get my sister from the theater." He said, laughing with me. "Come on. I think I can find your room."

I nodded at him and walked out of the kitchen. He was beside me in an instant, giving me another smile. I didn't know what to do or say. I was too tired to try and make sense of this.

"So you're from Ketish? Do you mind me asking what happened?" He asked, breaking the silence.

"A lot happened honestly. I'm not really ready to talk about it yet." I said, avoiding his stare as we walked. "I miss my brothers though and my best friend."

"Tell me about them." He said. So I did. I told him exactly what I told Ella about my brothers. I even talked a little about Skyler. He listened intently and before I knew it, we found my room.

"This place is a little confusing." I confessed while I opened the door. I turned to see him standing there with a smile.

"You'll get the hang of it in no time, I promise." He said, crossing his arms and leaning against the door frame.

"Can I ask you something? Just to be upfront." I asked, feeling small.

"Of course. You can ask me anything." He said, standing up straight again.

"Are you going to reject me too?" I whispered, looking at the floor. I heard him sigh as he walked to stand in front of me. He put a finger under my chin and raised my head to look at him. The soft look on his face surprised me.

"No I won't." He said, leaning in a little closer and dropping his voice to a whisper. "You see, my little wolf, I have waited a long time for you. You were meant to be mine and you will be treated like the queen you are."

I was too stunned to say anything as he leaned down to kiss me on the cheek. Electricity hummed through me. My eyes were still wide as he took a step back, towards the door.

"Get some sleep, little wolf. I'll see you in the morning." He said with a smile. I watched as he walked out the room and closed the door behind him. I reached up and touched my cheek softly as I laid on the bed. What in the hell just happened?

"We've found a mate who will love us." Lyla's voice rang through my mind. I drifted off to sleep with hope in my heart that she was right.