CHAPTER 54

Saturday 11:00 am

"Has she said anything yet?" The D.P.O entered the questioning room, watching the lady sitting down majestically with a straight face.

Sam shook his head in negative and the D.P.O walked closer, still paying close attention to Raliat. "You should say something young lady or you will have yourself to blame," he finalized and twirled round to go out.

He was almost at the door before he turned back sharply at Sam.

"Sam", he called. "Torture her till she says what she knows."

"Yes, sir", Sam answered and he beckoned to the policewoman behind Raliat to come and take over.

The D.P.O went out and was about to enter his office when he heard the echoes of her loud cry of "Dan Allah!"

****
"Babe, I'm sorry for not coming around yesterday. I went home to inform mum about what happened and also to pick a few things. Mum was worried sick about me", Saleem explained.

Salamat flashed a smile at him and he took a hold of her hand.

"It's ok", she said to him softly, looking at their enjoined hands.

He stared at her for a while and removed his hand from hers. Salamat was surprised at the action and she suddenly missed the feeling of his hand on hers. "Why did you do that?" She questioned.

He hiffed. "You see why I said I want us to get married? This is the first time we are holding hands. I can't hold you when I desire to because it's sinful."

Salamat looked down and said, "I am sorry. I now know the reason for Ayoade's sudden rush to get married. He refused to divulge his reasons to me though, but from all that has happened and the statement you just made, I figured it out."

"What reason?" He inquired

"Never mind. I'm sorry for not understanding you well enough." She apologized.

"I was scared it was an unrequited love." He admitted.

"Of course not. Why will you think that way?"

"I want to have you to myself, princess. I'm also sorry for not reasoning with you. I was just thinking about myself. That was selfish of me."

"No, don't say that. Your reasons are genuine and I admire you more for that. I'm sorry once again."

"Alright princess", He grinned.

"What's with the princess all of a sudden?"

"Aren't you a princess? You are my princess."

"Nop, I'm not. I am my daddy's princess but I am your queen."

He laughed richly. "Really?"

Salamat giggled and it caught the attention of the police officer standing by the doorpost. Salamat saw the look on his face and laughed more.

"Mum told me that Ayoade's fiance has been caught." He informed her.

"Yes. She is the one that can shed more light on what is happening. I have refused to let it bother me again. I know my innocence will save me."

"Let's just keep praying. God is merciful and He will show us his mercy. I know this is happening for a reason, so don't let it weigh you down."

"I can't remember the last time I laughed this way. I felt at peace and happy with myself this morning and I asked God for forgiveness for not being grateful enough. Walahi, I almost gave up but now I am sure God will pave a way. I just hope it won't be long."