CHAPTER 27

It was a beautiful morning.

Ayoade had prayed fervently overnight. That morning, he felt happy and at peace for no reason.

The night before, all he felt was remorse for his misdeed. At first, he couldn't summon up the courage to pray. He was ashamed of himself. He felt he had sinned too much and that God wouldn't answer his prayers.

But he woke up in a high spirit and he knew his prayers had been answered. He sang as he took his bath.

Bimpe left for class even before he woke up. He was glad she did. He didn't even know how to look her in the face any longer now that he had finally realized and admitted the unspeakable and abominable acts they have been doing.

He made a decision overnight to go back to Abeokuta the next week. But before then, he was going to stay at his uncle's house to avoid fate repeating itself. His uncle and wife would be at work already and he forgot to come along with his key to the house. He decided to wait till 4 p.m when his uncle would be back from work. He packed a few of his things from Bimpe's wardrobe into a school bag and dumped it on the bed.

This, he ventured into the kitchen to see if he could get something to eat. He strolled into the kitchen dragging his feet on the floor, opened all the pots but they were all empty. His stomach grumbled at that instant and he groaned as he went back to the room.

He needed something to eat. There were only beverages in the house and that won't sustain him. He knew Bimpe was starving him on purpose. That was her habit, whenever they argued, she would refuse to cook in the house, just to spite him.

He smiled sadly and picked up his wallet from the drawer, the house key, and wore his sandals before stepping out of the apartment.

He locked the front door and turned to go out of the compound.

It was an off-campus apartment for students of the University. Despite the numerous numbers of hostels in the University, a lot of students still do not secure the hostel every year leading to the high influx of affiliated off-campus apartments.

The house has 4 different one-room self-contained apartments. Bimpe was occupying one, Raliat and her niece, Safiya was occupying the one next to Bimpe while Farida and Banji were occupying the other two which were directly opposite Bimpe and Raliat's.

Ayoade and Bimpe were from a well-to-do family but there were beginning to have financial issues when their father decided to quit his job as a civil servant suddenly, for poultry farming.

Their mother, on the other hand, was into a thriving business of wholesale drinks.

Immediately Ayoade turned to go out of the compound, his eyes interlocked with that of Raliat's who was with a watering can. He guessed she was a lover of flowers. There were three different colorful vases of flowers at the entrance of their apartment.

He studied her carefully for the very first time and noticed how beautiful she looked. He never knew she was that beautiful. She was fair in complexion and she had bulging eyes which he found attractive with a pointed nose. He guessed she was a Fulani girl.

Raliat looked away.

"Raliat, good morning", he greeted with a grin.

"Good morning", she replied with her sweet soft voice which he found enchanting.

Everything about her that morning was alluring. They were attracting him to the girl he never noticed. He knew she liked him but he never gave her his attention.

"You did not go to class today? Bimpe left even before I woke up", he uttered, moving close to her.

She avoided his gaze and muttered, " Yes, I'm not feeling too well."

"Oh! Sorry. Is it malaria?", he asked.

"No, I'll be fine. Talk to you later", she said, dropping the can, unlocked the front door of her apartment, and went in without waiting for his reply.

He smiled and went out of the compound. He guessed Raliat was shy.

'She would make a good girlfriend', he thought to himself with a smile.

That was what he needed, he thought again. He needed a girl to divert his attention away from wanting his sister.

He took a bike to an Amala joint close to the school main gate where he ate his favorite swallow food, Amala ati ewedu.

He thought of getting a pack for Bimpe too but he changed his mind. He decided to take a stroll.

He was close to the University gate when he saw Salamat, close to the gate too. He was surprised to see her in Zaria of all places.

"Salamat", he called loudly with a wave. She turned back and saw him. Her face broke into a smile and she rang to hug him.

"Brother", she called. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm here to see you my sister", he replied.

Salamat laughed. "You are here to see your real sister Bimpe, not me the fake one. I missed you. How have you been?"

"I've been good and I missed seeing your small face too", he said pulling her soft cheeks.

Salamat gave a short laugh.

"Bimpe never told me you school here too", he muttered.

"Yes, I do. That reminds me, is she already in Abeokuta?"

"Who?"

"Bimpe."

"No, she is here in Zaria. Why do you ask?"

"She told me she was going back to Abeokuta because she was withdrawn from the department."

"What? Withdrawn? I don't believe it."

"Sorry. I thought you knew, I wouldn't have said it out. I guess she couldn't summon up the courage to tell you."

"I guess so", he responded absent-mindedly.

"I need to go now", he said with urgency.

"You are mad at her, right? I'm truly sorry."

"No, it's ok. Can I have your number so we can meet once again before I leave for home?"

"Sure", she said with a smile as she took his phone and input her number, before giving it back to him.

"Saved. See you around baby girl", he smiled.

"Hoping to hear from you soon brother Ayo", she waved at him with a grin till he was out of sight.

*******
Salamat has forgotten that she is now our wife. Why is she hugging Ayoade?🙊🙉

Lol

Don't forget to vote and comment. Thank you❤