CHAPTER 32

"Mummy", Salamat called entering the sitting room. It was a Sunday morning and her father and mother were both at home.

The couple were sitting next to each other on a three-seater with a plate of freshly based chin-chin in between. They were both watching a program on MTVbase as they crunched on the snack.

Her mother raised her head in response and replied with a " Uhm" as she threw more of the chin-chin into her mouth.

"Dad, I thought you said you were going out", Salamat said, moving close to them.

"Yes, I changed my mind", he answered her.

"Okay", she said and sat down.

She was debating on how to tell them she was going out with Ayoade. She knew Ayoade's father and her dad were currently not on good terms because of the incident that happened back in Abeokuta.

Mr. Ademola and Ayoade's father who was known as 'Brother Jamiu' were from the same hometown and their fathers were friends.

Ayoade's father was a lot older than Mr. Ademola so he calls him 'brother.'

"Are you done packing your things", her mother inquired and she nodded.

"Ready to go?" She asked again.

"No. I want to go and see someone. I will go to Shika once I am back", she responded.

"Is Saleem in Zaria?" Mrs. Ademola frowned at her in question. "Or who is the someone you want to go and see?"

"Not Saleem", she replied.

"Then who?"

"It's Ayoade", she replied. This got the attention of her father who was engrossed in the program on the TV.

"Brother Jamiu's son?" He asked.

"Yes sir."

"What for? And what is he doing here in Zaria?", Mr. Ademola interrogated.

"His sister schools in A.B.U too", Salamat told him.

"Bimpe?" Mr. Ademola asked again.

"Yes. He came to check up on her. We met only a few days ago and I gave him my contact. He called and informed me yesterday of his intention to get married", her parent was looking at her and listening with all their attention.

Salamat gulped and continued, "He was asked to come over to the girl's house so he wants me to go with him."

"Why can't he go with his sister or probably inform his father?" Mr. Ademola uttered, more like a question.

"I think his sister is not in support or maybe she doesn't like the girl, I don't know", Salamat concluded.

"How does that concern you? Are you his relative? Do you know what his silly father said about you or you've forgotten so soon what Bimpe did to you back in Abeokuta?"

"Ade mi (My Crown), it's all in the past now. Salamat told me that Bimpe had already asked for her forgiveness."

"I respected him. His children are so spoilt and rude yet he claims I don't know how to raise my child. What insolence!" He declared with irritation.

"Ayoade is an exception dad. Remember the help he rendered during my WAEC. If not for him, I would have failed mathematics."

"Motigbo (I have heard you)", he nodded and turned back to the TV.

"Don't stay long so you can still go to Shika today. Maybe your dad will take you there", Mrs. Ademola said to her daughter.

"I'm going out by evening. If she doesn't come back before then, I won't be able to take her there", her husband announced with a strict facial expression.

Salamat stood up. "Alright dad, I'll be back before you know it."

She couldn't help but wondered what transpired between her father and Ayoade's father. It was unlike her father to be this mad at someone, after 3 years of living in Abeokuta.

Salamat was walking towards the front door when Mrs. Ademola called her back.

"Omowumi", she turned back to face her mother.

"Come closer", her mother instructed.

Salamat complied and move to sit opposite her, where she was formally sitted. "Salamat called me earlier this morning. What happened between you two?"

Salamat sighed. 'Why is Saleem being necessarily childish? Can't we settle our differences between each other?', she thought within her.

"Mum, it's nothing", she said out loud.

"Nothing?" Mrs. Ade peered at her. Salamat nodded.

"Ok. Tell me about the nothing", she insisted.

"Ibukun, I thought we've concluded the issue with Saleem already", Mr. Ade commented.

"I want to know her opinion. Besides, Salamat is becoming a spoilt brat. She is being rude to the poor boy."

"Mum! Did he tell you that?"

Her mother looked back at her. "Of course not. You are my daughter and I know you."

"Mum, I don't wish to be married now. I already told him that. I see no reason why he reported me to you. That's so childish of him."

"He didn't report you."

"Your mother and I discussed it earlier. I am also not in support of you getting married while in school. You are still young and will soon be a graduate. But his people can come for the introduction any....."

"Ade", Mrs. Ademola interrupted her husband. "Truth be told, you want to take the glory of being the one who sponsored your daughter through the university."

"And what do you mean by that?" He questioned his wife who looked away and continued crunching on her chin chin. "Let's be realistic, Ibukun. This boy doesn't even have a job at hand yet, how do you want him to take care of our daughter?"

"It seems you have forgotten that it was your daughter that stopped him from going to explore the opportunities awaiting him abroad. If he was abroad, by now, I am sure he would have landed himself a handsome paying job as a result of his ingenuity which our country has refused to acknowledge" Mrs. Ademola retorted back.

"What are you saying? Why are you supporting every of his action", her husband asked.

"Ade", she called calmly, seeing how furious he was. He was yet to get over the thought of Ayoade's father. "Mariage is a blessing. You can help him secure a job."

"My decision is final. It either he waits or........", He declared stubbornly.

Mrs. Ademola was infuriated. "Or what? What if he impregnates your daughter just like you impregnated Habib's mother in your youthful age?"

"What?" Salamat cried.

"Dad impregnated Habib's mother?" She questioned her mother who stood up and hissed before walking out of the room.

Is Habib my brother then?' She couldn't voice out her thoughts.

The baffled Salamat stared at her father's mortified face, waiting for an explanation.

None was forthcoming and she screamed, "Dad!"

**********

Finally! I had the time to type out our chapter 32.

What do you think is happening? Can you now see the reason why Mrs. Ademola had a fight with her husband on their way to Katsina for not suing Habib and his family?

Air your views and await the next chapter. Meanwhile, don't forget to vote for this chappy.

Eaglewoman loves you all💝