CHAPTER 19

Saleem finished his first semester examinations and got prepared for his last field trip. He missed home so much and was anxious to go home as soon as they were back from the trip.

Thanks to the job he was given, he was able to raise money for his field trip and also project work though, he was still working on the project.

He called Salamat on his way to his department that Monday morning before their departure and she went to see him off. They left the Department to Birnin Kudu in Jigawa State and the journey took 5 hours.

Two weeks after, which was the end of the field trip, they all went back to Zaria and Saleem went straight to the park to take a bus home.

The department gave them a week's break before the commencement of the second semester. He called Salamat on his way to Kano and she told him she missed him.

Saleem smiled and told her he missed her too. He then assured her that he would be back as soon as he could and also told her to extend his greetings to her parents.

Saleem got to Kano before evening and was happy to see his father on his feet. Hadiza, his immediate sister who was schooling at Bayero University, Kano was also at home.

He was glad to see his family whole and in good health. That night, they had jollof rice for dinner which was Saleem's favorite. After dinner, they talked into the night and made plans for Rekiya's entry into the university, since Saleem was graduating that year.

Saleem told his parents about Salamat and her parent's generosity towards him. They were all happy and told him to extend their appreciation when he gets back to Zaria.

The next day, Saleem was in the sitting room playing ludo with Hadiza when she said, "Bro I am surprised at you."

Saleem stopped playing and looked at her. "Surprised at me? What for?"

"Chill bro, it's not what you are thinking. What I intend to say is that I am surprised that a girl's name finally came out of your mouth. I saw how happy you looked last night when you were talking about her. Do you perhaps have feelings for her?"

"Uhmmm..... that's an issue I have not been wanting to bring up because of how much it hurts", he replied, with a sad face.

"Why?" His sister inquired.

Saleem opened up to his sister about his feelings for Salamat and told her he was scared of professing his love for her because of their friendship.

Hadiza was amazed and wondered how angelic the girl is to have captured her brother's heart so easily.

'That girl must be an awesome person, she thought to herself smiling at her brother.

"Bro, I think it's best if you open up to her, her acceptance doesn't matter. What matters is letting her know how you feel. Just brave up and talk to her", Hadiza counseled.

"How do I go about it then?", he asked his sister, embarrassed but ready to listen to what she has to say.

Hadiza then counseled him on how to go about it and told him to take note of something.

"Don't go straight to the point and I think you should do it now in my presence because I know once you are back to school, that will be the end of it. You won't tell her anything and she will end up not knowing about your feelings for her till you graduate. So do it now please", Hadiza said with all seriousness while Saleem became nervous and uneasy.

'Professing my love for a girl in front of my sister? No, I can't do that.'

"No, I can't do it now, maybe tomorrow" He replied.