CHAPTER 5

Saleem was sitting on a couch in the sitting room with his luggage, waiting for his parents.

A few minutes later, Mr. and Mrs. Raji came out of their room to meet their son. The couple prayed for their son and wished him journey mercies.

After praying, his father brought out an envelope from his pocket and stretched it to him.

Saleem prostrated as a sign of gratitude, opened the envelope, and counted the money. It was #10,000.

"Daddy thank you, mummy thank you too, I appreciate this but this money is not enough. It's not even up to the fees for our field school, how do I go about it," Saleem complained.

"My son, don't worry we will send you more before the end of the month and before the closing date for the payment In Sha Allah (By God's Grace). Besides, you have foodstuffs, just manage with this till we send you more. Continue being the good boy you have always been and remember the son of whom you are. May Almighty Allah be with you", his dad replied.

"Ameen", mother and son chorused.

"Thank you my son for the patience and endurance. May you never go astray and may success be yours in all you do." His mother added.

"Thank you, mum and dad, may you both live long to reap the fruit of your labor. I have two more years to go, just continue praying for me. I need to get going", Saleem said standing up.

"Odaa oko mi (Alright my husband), let's go", his mum said holding his hand and guiding him out while his father bade him goodbye and went into his room.

When they got to the door, Mrs. Raji heard a familiar voice and quickly pushed Saleem back into the room.

Baffled he asked, "Mummy,  what is the matter?"

"Ah, my son that voice sounds like Mama Risikatu's voice. The foodstuff I got for you and your sister was on credit and I got it from her. I know for sure that she is here for her money and I don't have anything to give her now", his mother answered with a petrified look.

"Oh God! what do I do now, I need to get going", Saleem told her.

"You will have to go through the backyard. We can't go through the front door so she won't see me. If she sees me, I will have to give her something, or else I will be humiliated. I don't have a single penny with me. Your dad and I gave you all we had", she explained and led him to the backyard.

Saleem jumped over the fence to the next compound and board a bike to the park.

Saleem was the firstborn of a family of five. He was the only son and he has two sisters by the name of Hadiza and Rekiya.

Hadiza was in Bayero University, Kano while Rekiya was still in secondary school.

Saleem was a 22-year-old student of Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria. His parents reside in Kano State but they were Yoruba by the tribe.

Saleem's mother is a Hausa woman but was born and brought up in Ibadan. His father on the other hand was born and brought in Kano State but was an indigene of Oyo State.

Mr. Raji met his wife during a trip he made to his hometown for an EID celebration.

Saleem is an easy-going and patient young man who stayed at home for four years before gaining admission into the university to study archaeology.

As a lover of history, he became interested in archaeology when he came across it 2 years after his secondary school education. With interest in the past, he started making research about the course and he became very much acquitted with it even before he was admitted into the university.