CHAPTER 31

"What does Bimpe doesn't have a say in?" Bimpe asked again.

Ayoade wanted to ignore her like she has been doing to him but he felt he needed to tell her. Raliat was her friend. She needed to know.

"Bimpe, sit", he instructed.

"You haven't answered my question," Bimpe said, still not moving.

He looked up at her. He saw pain, hatred, courage, disgust and he saw confidence.

"I have some things to tell you."

She looked at him eyeingly and gently moved to sit.

"I'm sorry for all that has been happening between us which ought not to have happened. I have realized the gravity of my deed and I want to implore you to forgive me. I'm sorry Bimbim."

Bimpe was silent for a while before bursting into laughter. "So you've realized your mistakes after you have ruined me? You must be crazy."

"Bimpe, this is not meant to be a fight but a way to sort things out and put a stop to all of these. Also, I want to inform you that I intend to get married to Raliat as soon as possible. It seems that is the only logical solution."

"No wonder! I thought as much. I never knew it has gotten to this stage. I knew she had her eyes on you all this while. So you want to stop now that you finally got yourself a girlfriend?"

"No Bimpe, I......"

"Have you thought of how much ruin you've caused? No man has ever shown interest in me ever since all of these started. You are a very stupid brother and Raliat is a betrayal. You two deserve each other. I'm sure you will give her a piece of her own flesh too" She sniffed, trying to control her tears.

"No, Bimpe... This is the solution to our problems. I wanted to go away from here, far from you so this won't continue but I think marriage is the best. I intend to go and see her parents tomorrow and I want you to go with me. Please Bimbim."

"To hell with you two. You can do whatever you want, I don't give a damn. I regret having you like a brother", She bursted into tears.

Ayoade was speechless as he watched her cry. He felt bad but couldn't summon the courage to move closer to her.

Bimpe stood up abruptly and ran to the bathroom. She shut the door and cried out her eyes.

******

Salamat was in her bedroom with her mother. It was a Saturday and she was packing her luggages to be taken to the Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital (ABUTH) in Shika for her final year.

Even though her mother didn't want her to go live there since it wasn't mandatory, Salamat was more than willing to leave with the promise to come back home on weekends.

She wanted to have the full experience of being a nurse "in situ", despite the several practical experiences of the course they have been getting since 200 level.

She couldn't point out a specific reason for reaching that decision. She just wanted to go. Her mother was also helping her to pack as they kept on gisting about the boy who almost killed his father after getting drunk on the eve of New Year.

Salamat was laughing uncontrollably at her mother's jokes when her phone rang. It was Saleem.

"Peace unto you, Saleem", she picked his call.

"And unto you too, my heart desire" he replied.

Salamat smiled as her mother winked at her.

"How are you doing?" Salamat demanded.