CHAPTER 6

"Princess, someone is at the gate. Please go and see who it is", Mr. Ade shouted from his room.

He had just finished taking his bath and was getting dressed for the Friday congregational prayer.

Salamat was in the kitchen which was directly opposite the Master bedroom with her mother, cooking lunch.

They had gone to the market immediately after breakfast to get some groceries while Mr. Ade went back to bed.

"Yes daddy", she answered back, coming out of the kitchen with an apron tied above her neck.

Their gateman who was an old Hausa man of 70 years was forced to leave because of old age and poor sight, even though he was still willing to work with the Ademolas. He was greatly compensated and he left for his hometown happily.

Salamat stepped out of the front door and opened the gate after a few steps.

She was shocked to see a distraught-looking Habib at the gate breathing heavily like someone who just did a marathon.

"Habib, how may I help you?", Salamat asked politely.

Habib kept staring at her wondering if she had seen the post or not.

"Can I come in?", Habib requested looking guilty. "We need to talk."

"I'm sorry, you can't and as you can see, I'm busy", she said pointing to her apron.

"......Besides I don't think there's anything for us to talk about."

"Please baby, I didn't do it", he said.

"First of all, don't baby me, and secondly, what didn't you do?", she demanded.

"Did you see any post on Facebook?", he requested of her.

"That did not answer my question", she retorted.

Habib seeing her reaction decided to speak up. "Wunmi I am very sorry for what happened. I did not mean to expose you, please forgive me. I shouldn't have told anyone about it....", he said and continued.

"......After we departed yesterday, I told my twin sister and she swore to tell my friends about it. I decided to be a step ahead of her by telling them myself. I thought they were matured enough to understand. I just saw the post this morning on my way to mum's shop. I sincerely have no idea who did that. Please forgive me."

"It's okay. I shouldn't have told you about it in the first place. My parents warned me but I disobeyed them because I thought you were trustworthy but now I know better. My secret is no longer a secret. The whole world knows about it and I have been stigmatized."

"Stigmatized? What do you mean by that?", he asked with confusion.

"Isn't this what your sister wants? But mind you, a part of me might be lost but I assure you that my dignity is still intact. Thanks for your friendship and have a lovely life", she said in one breath and closed the gate.

She met her dad in the doorway already dressed. "Who was that at the gate?"

"Habib", she replied looking away.

"What? What does he want from you again?", he questioned with a raised brow but Salamat only shrugged.

"Are you ok, dear?", he inquired.

"Yes daddy, I'm absolutely fine."

"Let me go for my prayers, I will be back before you know it. Besides your mum and I have some things to discuss with you later tonight."

"Alright", she said and went inside.

Mrs. Ade was setting the table when she entered. "That was Habib right?", she asked and Salamat nodded.