CHAPTER 57

Tuesday 7:00 am

"Salamat" Lamide called, opening Salamat's cell.

Salamat had just finished praying. She woke up late for her morning prayer and was still on the floor, chanting her morning azkar (supplications).

The woman saw Salamat's mouth moving and she quietly stood outside.

When Salamat was done, she stood up and greeted the policewoman.

"How are you dear?" She asked Salamat with a cheerful smile.

Salamat smiled back. "I'm fine, ma."

"It's time to go home. Your parents are already waiting for you outside."

"Home?"

"Yes, dear."

"What?" Salamat exclaimed in joy.

"You mean I am free to go home now?" She asked again, to be sure.

"Yes, dear" Lamide flashed her a smile. "Or you want to keep staying here?"

"Of course not", Salamat frowned and ran out of the cell to hug Lamide who chuckled lightly as they hugged each other.

*****
"Raliat, your parents are waiting for you outside. You are allowed to go home now", Sam said to Raliat who quietly stood up from where she was seated and walked out of the cell, looking at Sam as he closed the cell up.

"Good luck", he smiled at her and turned to go back to his duty post, when Raliat stopped him.

"Can I see Bimpe before I go?"

He watched her for a while before answering, "Why not? Let's go."

He took her to Bimpe's cell and turned to go back after warning them, "Girls, no fight."

Raliat squatted and called "Bimpe."

Bimpe did not answer nor turn to look at her and Raliat continued, "I'm sorry for telling on you. I ran away because I didn't want this to happen. I didn't want to see you like this because it hurts seeing the people you love getting hurt. I had to say the truth for my family's happiness. Ayoade's death has shattered the happiness and trust in my family. My father is accusing my mother of having a hand in Ayoade's death because she was not in support of my relationship with Ayoade. My mother is heartbroken and she is planning on asking dad for a divorce."

Raliat paused and watched Bimpe bent her head between her thighs.

"I also did it to save the innocent. Salamat was innocent of the crimes but all the evidence was pointing at her as the killer. I had to intervene. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have advised Ayoade to stay back when he told me of his plans to travel to Ghana, so the thing between you two will stop. I was selfish by asking him to stay back and marry me because I was head over heels in love with him."

"So you knew all these while?" Bimpe lifted her head up and finally turned to look at Raliat.

"Yes. I was on my way to your apartment that fateful day to confess the feelings I was harboring for your brother to you when I overheard your conversation with him. I assumed getting married would put a stop to it so I told him I was willing to get married to him." Raliat replied.

"Bimpe, a part of me is gone with Ayoade and I know my life will never remain the same again. If only I had let him go, he would still be alive by now." Raliat voiced out her regrets as a tear dropped from her eyes.

"I never knew things would turn out this way, Raliat. Believe me, I was hurt but I did not mean to kill him. I only wanted him to feel the pain I was feeling. I was hurt because I felt used." Bimpe confessed and Raliat could see how much she was struggling not to burst into tears.