CHAPTER 26

It was the end of level 4 and Salamat was home on holiday, hoping to start her final year in the University Teaching Hospital in Shika.

She was in the living room reading a novel titled BETROTHAL when her phone beeped signifying a message. She dropped the novel and picked up her phone to read the message.

The message was from Saleem.

He had gone home the previous week after the successful completion of his youth service. Shocked at the details of the message, she stood up quickly and went to her mum's room.

"Mummy", She called. "You need to see this." Her mother was arranging some files and Salamat moved closer, stretching the phone to her.

Mrs. Ade dropped the files and collected the phone from her daughter. She read the message and smiled. She returned the phone and replied,  "That's a good idea, congratulations to him."

Salamat was dumbfounded at her mum's behavior and she shouted out of frustration. "Mum."

"Yes dear", Mrs. Ade replied calmly and continued arranging the files.

"Saleem is leaving me. He is going to Florida next week and you are saying congratulations?", she asked.

"Is that a question or a statement?... My dear, I am not Saleem that you can nag the way you like, so if you think you need my advice, you know how to go about it."

"Mummy, sorry for shouting at you", she apologized.

"It's ok.... the poor boy is going abroad for his masters, so what's the problem with that? He broke the record by graduating with a first class from his department. So there is every probability that the department will retain him. It's an achievement that's why I said congratulations to him."

"Mummy if he goes, he won't come back again, that's the problem", Salamat mumbled, slumping to the chair beside her.

"What makes you think he won't come back? Besides, I don't see that as a problem or is it a problem to you? A good life awaits him overseas."

"Mummy, he is leaving me", Salamat said tearily.

Mrs. Ade stood up from where she was working and moved close to her daughter. "That boy deserves the best Salamat, don't hinder him from becoming a great man. There are great opportunities overseas unlike our country and I am sure before 2 years, he will become a successful man."

"Mummy, it hurts knowing he is leaving me. I feel jilted like everyone used to make me feel. Saleem is my only friend and I don't know how to cope without him. I don't want him to leave me, it's unfair", Salamat declared, and sat on the bed cleaning her tears with the back of her hand.

"Why don't you want him to go?" Mrs. Ade demanded.

"Because....I...I don't want him to", Salamat stammered.

"Then it means you don't want his success. Don't be childish Salamat and stop being selfish", Mrs. Ade remarked truthfully and returned back to her seat.

"Mummy, it's because I am scared. I don't know how I feel", her daughter finally confessed.

Mrs. Ade smiled. "You are being difficult Salamat and you are being unfair to yourself. You are denying yourself the happiness you deserve. Don't be scared dear, just let life take its course. Do what you have to do at the right time before it goes away. I know you like him but you don't want to admit it to yourself."

"Mum, if I give him a chance, he might get tired of me someday."

"Is that why you are scared?", Mrs. Ade asked while Salamat nodded.