Chapter 16: Shock

Ash's PoV

Ellina. She's mine. Only mine.

She lay asleep peacefully in my arms while I flew her back to that old cottage. I don't want to leave her here, after her friends being brutally murdered.

I've got no choice though. Taking her to my town isn't a choice and if she wakes up in my arms in the morning she might be pissed off. So I guess I'll have to leave her here.

Just for the morning though, tonight I' have some business with that stupid ghost that's been haunting her.

I arrived at the cottage and flew through the small window. Putting her down on a small grumpy bed I pulled the blanket up softly.

She's beautiful.

She might wake up and not remember anything so I guess I'll have to leave her a reminder.

I snapped my fingers and in a blink a peace of paper and pen were floating in the air. I took hold and scribbled a quick reminder then left.

Ellie's PoV

My hands shook. I read the letter twice then thrice.

Did he say that he loves me?

Okay.

Okay.

Oh god.

I thought that was a fucking dream. He said that he's a demon. To hell with that! Demons don't exist. But I saw his wings. I saw a whole civilization.

And I see ghosts.

My head swirled. I need to talk to him.

"Ellie I made you tea" Lara called from the kitchen.

Ignoring her I rushed out of the cottage and ran into the woods. I need to talk to Ash.

I ran shouting his name.

Nothing.

I stopped, panting then I called out again.

No answer.

I looked around. Ok. Where the hell was I now? I had ran so fast that I had lost track.

Trees surrounded me from all four sides accompanied by pitch silence.

I started walking. Hoping to find my way back to the town. An unpleasant odour drifted through my nostrils.

I didn't stop. I kept walking till the odour grew so intense that it got hard to breathe. It smelled like humus.

Corpse.

All of a sudden, I had an urge to find the source. I sniffed and walked following the smell.

The smell was coming from a large old tree.

Or from behind it.

I took several steps forward. My eyes widened at the sight.

It was a corpse. A decaying corpse. Covered in blood and scratches all over. Some parts of it were showing signs of being burnt, including the hair and clothes.

I bent down to inspect further when my eye caught sight of something glistening. It was a small bracelet.

Claire.

I screamed. This couldn't be happening. No. I had seen Claire almost an hour ago and this corpse was at least a week old.

But the bracelet was hers. I had given it to her on her last birthday and she hadn't taken it off since.

I broke down. Tears trickled down my face uncontrollably.

Hush.

I heard a sound from somewhere. My heart skipped a beat. Without thinking any further I broke into a run.

I ran and ran until I slammed against something hard.

"Shush, it's alright I'm here" he hugged me.

"Zach" I looked up both shocked and surprised.

"I tried to save her" he looked at me with a sad look on his face.

"Ho-" my voice shook.

"I was right about John... he... chased us and did something to Claire... her body was aflame in moments" he said,his head was shaking and so was his voice.

"How.. di..did you.. survi-" I said through sobs.

"I ran" he said.

"Where"

"I've found some place... we'll be safe there come with me" he said.

I nodded, too horrified to protest.

He gripped my arm and pulled me into a run.