Chapter 8: Possessed

Claire's PoV

I woke up to the sound of hushed voices. I moved my head at the direction of the voice. It took some time for my sleep blurred vision to clear. Zach was talking to a girl about something I couldn't make out sentences from, ghosts......woods..witches...  Zach was saying something like that with a frustrated look on his face.

I glanced around. The atmosphere was unfamiliar. Then it clicked. My memories came rushing at me. Simon was missing, the girl talking to Zach right now had told me. I had a mental breakdown.

"You're awake" the girl exclaimed.

I stayed silent. Tears started burning at the back of my throat.

Oh my Simon.

"I'm Lara, we've met earlier" she smiled warmly.

Zach came forward "how are you doing?" Soundings rather bored.

"All my body parts are fine I guess" I managed to say.

How the hell can I be ok with Simon missing. He means the universe to me. Without him I was nothing.

A boy rushed from the front door breaking my chain of thoughts.

"Lara, daddy.. he's... awake..he won't calm down" the boy said through sobs.

Lara's eyes widened "but I just injected him" she said perplexed.

"Zach, I was considering going to fetch Ellie from the woods but... can you look for her?" She said appealing.

"Sure, go and take Claire with yourself" Zach said looking at me.

"Yeah thaat might divert her attention and I might need her help as well" Lara said grabbing my arm and pulling me out of bed.

I wanted to deny but didn't have the strength. Tears started to trickle down my face but I still followed Lara.

We walked out and rushed to a small cottage nearby. The boy who had came to call us was still crying. John was holding an old man who seemed unhinged. He was shivering and crying and muttered something in a language I didn't understand.

Lara pulled a vial. Sucked whatever it contained in an injection and plunged it into the old man's chest.

I thought I heard a scream or two from somewhere outside but nobody else seemed to notice so I dismissed them.

Now Lara was mixing some herbs and chanting something hilarious. She took a spoonful and shoved it in the man's mouth, who was now physically calm but still weeping.

I sat on a small chair and absently watched the whole scene while wiping tears away every now and then.

I heard a knock in the door.

Ellie's PoV

Ash took hold of my hand "never get out in the dark alone again, got it?" He murmured locking his gaze wih mine.

"Okay" I whispered.

I wasn't really getting it. He popped out of the blue to save me twice today. This was making me suspicious.

Then it clicked 'stalker', a voice at the back of my mind said.

"Are you stalking me?" I asked bluntly.

This made sense. Maybe he was just a creepy stalker.

He smirked "perhaps".

"Stop talking in riddles" I spat.

He arched a brow "do you wanna go to your friends or not?"

"I do" I said, my cheeks flushed.

"Then stop bickering" he said never letting go of my hand.

We stepped out of John's cottage and started walking. The place seemed peculiarly eerie. He led me to a small cottage which I recognized instantly. It was the place I caught up with John while he was chatting with an old guy. We halted right outside the door.

"You're at your own now" Ash said to me and started backing away.

"Won't you come" I questioned awkwardly.

"No and don't mention me" with that he walked away.

I rolled my eyes.

Weirdo.

I knocked at the door.

A red eyed Claire opened the door with tear stained cheeks.

"Ellie!" She pulled me into an embrace and started crying.

I hugged back just as tight. "We'll find him, don't worry" I said brushing her back.

"Where were you?" she asked totally oblivious.

"At the woods" I muttered.

"What" she said.

Before I could open my mouth someone screamed inside.