Chapter 11: Ragged

Ellie's PoV

I woke up with ragged breathing. Zach was perched on a chair beside the bed I lay limp on.

His head was in his hands while he kept muttering something to himself.

"Zach" I murmured.

I was still angry at him because of what happened last night but his body exhibited genuine concern.

He cocked his head up.

"You're awake!" He exclaimed with a childish grin.

He jumped and squeezed my hands. "I was so scared last night I couldn't understand anything"

"I'm fine don't worry" I lied.

Fine was the last thing I was. Hell! I couldn't even think straight! My head couldn't process anything.

"I love you" he let out a sigh.

"Thanks" I smiled.

"Will you tell me what happened last night" his brows furrowed.

"I...no...I can't"

Color drained from his face. I could tell he wasn't anticipating that. I expected a rude reply but to my surprise he remained quiet.

"Where's Claire?" I questioned trying to lift the tension building between us.

"She's preparing dinner with Lara"

"Dinner?" I paused then went on " how long have I been unconscious for?"

"Around 20 hours" He said coolly.

What?

My eyes widened. How can I pass out for so long? I wasn't even hurt or wounded. My head swirled. I wasn't getting a single thing.

"Zach?"

"Yeah?" He asked.

"Can you fetch Lara?

He gave a curt nod then walked leaving me alone in the room.

I shuddered. I wasn't fond of this feeling. This place gave me unwanted, unwelcomed chills.

I heard steps. To my surprise it was Claire who entered.

"Ellie" she said.

"What is it" I said noticing the look on her face.

"I want to go home"

Before I could open my mouth to speak Zach entered the room followed by Lara.

"You're awake" She gave another one of those warm smiles.

She's always smiling.

"I guess it's obvious" I replied bluntly.

"You wanted to talk to me?" Lara said striding near me.

"Um yeah...alone" I glanced at Claire and Zach.

Their eyes were filled with hurt. Zach scowled. They were my bestfriends and I shared almost everything with them but this. What if they get in trouble if I tell them.

They left the room. I swear I could feel sadness and rage radiating of their bodies.

"I'm being haunted" I told Lara.

Her eyes widened and her mouth fell open.

"Don't say that loud" she said sitting near me.

I remained silent.

She continued "since when"

"Yesterday" I forrowed my brows.

"It's night. We can't talk about these things at this time, I'm sure it can wait till morning can it?" She said.

"Okay" I was disappointed. I wanted to talk now and badly but I couldn't press.

"Let's go eat something, dinner's ready" she said helping me up.

She called out to Zach and Claire. When they came she led us to the kitchen.

There was a small area where ash lay, beside it there were piles of kindling.
Crockery were stocked in one corner, while on the other Lara lay a small cloth where we sat.

She brought some gravy and bread.

"Help yourselves" she said warmly.

This place was really out of world. Nothing seemed to fit in.

"Ellie" Claire said.

I looked at her.

"Zach and I have to say something"

"What is it?" I said curiosity driving in.

"We should go back home Ellina" Zach said using my full name.

I did want to go home. But I couldn't. Not yet. I need to find my friends first.

"I can't"

"But Ellie it isn't safe here" Zach spoke.

I wasn't in the mood to talk or convince them to stay.

"I need to find Simon and Bella, with or wihout your help" I announced.

"But I can't stay here any longer" Claire was close to tears

"Ellie they're gone! Why don't you get it?" Zach beemed at me.

"Ok then, I'll find who took them is that clear!" I snapped.

This seemed to catch him off guard.

"Sorry" He lowered his head.

"You can go and take Claire"

He thought for a while then glanced at me.

"I'll take Claire back then come back, we'll find the culprits together ok?"  He placed his hand on mine and squeezed it.

Though I was surprised that he agreed so quickly, I was still grateful.

"Yeah, you're correct. You should take her" I nodded pinching my lips together.