Chapter 2: Woods

Ellie's PoV

Bella is gone...

And God knows what took her. And all I can do is sit and cry in this little cottage...

I glanced up at the grumpy old man who was talking to Simon. While Claire was perched on a chair beside mine with a grave expression talking to Zach who looked like nothing was wrong.

After Bella was dragged into the woods the man appeared out of the blue and brought us to a small cottage. Simon had been right, the village was close, it took a minutes walk through the woods and we were surrounded by cottages.

"It's late you should rest" Simon said pacing towards me.

"Here?"I asked astonished. Totally oblivious to the time.

"Yes here. John invited us to stay here" He explained in a sad tone.

"What about Bella" Claire murmured almost to herself.

"We'll find her" Zach replied before Simon could.

Zach walked over to John and said something I couldn't here. John picked up an unlit lantern from a small wooden table, ignited it and handed it to Zach. He came towards me, smiled and grabbed my hand.

"Let's go sleep" I felt like he was smirking.

I nodded.

We walked several steps then I stopped and glanced backwards.

"Are you guys coming?" I asked Claire and Simon.

"Thought you'd never ask" Simon chuckled.

Though the cottage seemed small from outside it contained a small kitchen and a living room, two rooms that shared a bathroom more like a chamber pot. I was hating the place already.

The room was small. The door was made of unpolished wood and there were no beds.

"There are some quilts in that trunk over there feel free to use them"

The voice made me jump,John, the old spooky man was behind me. Inside my mind I rolled my eyes.

Claire opened the trunk and pulled out some dusty old quilts. She made beds for all four of us and each took their's.

I put my head on the pillow and cried myself to sleep.

Simon's PoV

It's all my fault. I shouldn't have came here. Though it was Zach who told me about this place I was the one who wanted to come here and bring my Friends and now Bella is missing because of me. I'm such a coward. I could follow her into the woods but I remained standing and watching.

No!

You can't sleep when she's missing because of you coward!

My subconsciousness shouted at me.

I glanced around. The candle I lighted before sleeping was burning luminously and my friends were asleep. Claire was breathing lightly. I planted a kiss on her forehead and got up. I have to find Bella.

I glanced down at my watch it was 4:30 am. I looked for my torch but it was nowhere so picked the lantern John had spared us last night and walked out of the room. Several steps ahead was the door which led outside.

To the woods.

I opened the door and stepped outside. A hand clasped my shoulder. "Be careful kid" John was behind me. I looked him. His green eyes were fulled with a sadness I couldn't quiet understand.

I gave a curt nod and walked into the woods.

It was still dark. I found my way to the place where John found us last night. I glanced around. Though it had rained, the ground was peculiarly dry. I felt warm air on my left ear. Ignoring it I took several steps forward.

I felt it again. It felt like someone was breathing close to my ear. Then it hit me.

All the horror stories I heard about this place. Why people stayed inside from dusk till dawn. The woods are haunted. The silhouette we spotted here then this stupid breathing. I'v never been scared of anything and horror had always thrilled me, but this didn't feel any good.

You can't back off!

My subconsciousness beemed at me.

But my heart rate betrayed any bravery.

Still, I managed to walk my way to where Bella was dragged.

I heard a giggle.