Chapter 9: Obsidian

Ellie's PoV

The scene inside was of sheer dread.

The man I had seen talking to John earlier in the morning was perched on a small wooden bed. His eyes were black as obsidian. He was crying and screaming something.

"Ellina can you hold him?" Lara, who was holding the man by his legs called to me.

I rushed forward with Claire beside me. We held him while Lara started with her herbs.

Though he looked around 80, he was stronger then I had anticipated.

Lara rushed forward. In her hand she held a dagger.

My eyes widened " are you going to kill him?" I yelled.

She shook her head then she brought the knife down and gave him a cut right on his chest. The man didn't seem to notice. Then she brought down a vial and poured down the contents on the cut concealing it. The man hissed then fell backwards.

"Is he dead?" Claire let out a sob.

"No dear, he'll be fine" Lara sighed.

That lifted some of the tension from the room. The boy and John took seats beside the man who lay unconsciously on the bed.

We stood in silence for a while, it was Lara who broke the it.

"We should go now" she said slowly starting to collect her belongings.

My stomach lurched.

Oh shit.

I hadn't eaten anything the whole day.

"Let's go" Lara said walking towards the small door that led outside.

"You're well aware of the fact that it's not safe out there Lara" John said from his chair.

"I'm not alone it will be fine uncle, don't worry" She smiled at him.

"ok but don't look behind and don't talk to strangers" He added.

Weird.

"Ok, girls remember not to talk, not even to eachother, we don't want to catch any attention" Lara announced.

We left and walked out in utter silence. I wondered why they were talking like that. Don't talk, don't look behind. What's the big deal. Or maybe it was. Perhaps the town itself was haunted just like the woods. It made sense now, it was a ghost who had scared me at John's place.

Don't look back.

Don't look back.

I kept repeating that at the back of my head like a mantra. It didn't work though. Harder I tried, curiouser I got.

Lara and Claire were walking ahead of me. I glanced sideways. My breath caught in my throat.

A saw a silhouette perched on a tree. It wasn't clear in the dark if it was a man or women. I diverted my eyes quickly. My heart slammed against my chest.

Fortunately, nothing odd happened in the rest of the way. We entered Lara's cottage to find Zach already snoring.

"I think your boyfriend has decided to stay here for the night" Lara chuckled.

I flushed. "Pardon him" I said apologetically.

"No worries" she gave another one of those warm smiles.

"Where are we gonna sleep?" Claire raised her eyebrows.

"You can take beds here, sorry I just have one other room and there's only a single bed" She said pinching her lips together.

"It's fine here, I guess" I moved and took the bed farthest from Zach's.

"I'm not sleeping between you and your dumbass boyfriend" she claimed.

Claire was stubborn, that's something I've grown up knowing. So I had two choices now, silently slipping to the next bed or arguing for the next two hours. I chose the latter.

I laid down pressing my head on the pillow and drifted off to sleep.