𝟑𝟓: 𝖑𝖎𝖆𝖗

"It hasn't dawned yet." Laav pulled the sheets closer to her chest to make up for the loss of warmth around her waist. She didn't bother turning around, knowing he was already up. "You're not supposed to be awake." Regulus propped on his elbow, hovering over her from behind. She narrowed her gaze and studied him through the corner of her eyes. His emeralds were tired, and his hair was more frayed than usual. "Have you forgotten that charms inevitably don't work on me?" He only smiled, pushing her hair to the side and planting a gentle kiss on her clavicle. Feeling him so close, she felt more alive than she ever had been in so very long. Neither of them acknowledged their affection out loud for the moment. "Try not to die," she said, after some time. "And you. Try not to be a threat," he teased. Her eyebrows furrowed at his words. Why did he have to keep saying that?

          "I am not a threat," she retorted, turning and looking him directly in the eye. He looked conflicted, unsure whether to hold her or to stay where he was like he usually would. She sat up and slipped on her nightgown, sliding out of the bed to face him. "You think so highly of yourself Regulus, but it took you this long to notice you're nothing more than The Dark Lord's pawn." He sucked a small breath in through his teeth at her words, ire shooting up towards his northern region. He slid out of bed, and she noticed he was already fully clothed.

          Something similar to anger ran across his features before his eyes darkened as he backed her up against the wall, towering above her. He lowered his face to level with hers, anger evident in his eyes. "Fuck you," he says under his breath. She took in the scent of his cologne, the dusky base notes hit her at all the right spots, feeding her guilty pleasure. Their eyes locked for a few torturous minutes before he slowly released her. Indisputably, she was way too caught up in her racing thoughts to put a stop to this madness, and he moved close enough until his lips grazed against her own. His anger tolerance with Laav was like a feather- it always flew away.

          "Oh, chère. You don't understand," he mumbled on her lips. His eyes fluttered close, his hand cupping her cheeks. He felt as though he was collapsing in on himself and he didn't want to hurt her. "I only wanted to protect you. From things that you've already seen and things that you haven't." He wanted to shield her from this new world she was now accustomed to. "But now I know I can't." Regulus knew he couldn't reveal too much or last night would've been a total waste. "What do you mean?" Laav whispered though, unsure if that's a line she was willing to cross.

           He sadly smiled and shook his head. This was her destiny. Along with all of theirs. It was better if she did not know about her birth. "Kreacher," he called out. Black smoke clouded the room momentarily, before revealing a timid house-elf in the corner. "Yes, Master?" Regulus took one last look at Laav, glancing at her lips. His voice, husky, far removed from the drawl of before, "Lead the way." And then he turned around, headed for the death, still honor-bound, ready to take the blow for her and bear the brunt, hoping she'd be there to catch him when he falls.

***

           "The war is getting more intense, Atheyas. I am bound to keep you by my side," Riddle claimed, only obtaining a hum in reply. "Have you seen Regulus today?" Her heart clenched at the mention of his name, along with her hands that gripped the arms of the throne. A sweet deceptive smile camouflaged her icy demeanor. She kept her eyes straight ahead allowing only a simple no to roll out of her tongue. "Surprising. He's usually here when your eyes open and clears out right after they close- that too, only erratically. Don't you find it weird?" he instigated. Atheyas could feel his cold orbs pierce into her as she continued to ignore his taunts. "I'm sure he has a valid reason," she replied bluntly.

           The Dark Lord didn't seem too convinced though, "I'm sure he has. Per-" "Perhaps," she cut him cold, turning to the row of Deatheaters on her right, "we should proceed with the meeting. Severus, what do we have?" The dark-eyed boy stood up and cleared his throat, ready to update his leaders of the information he has acquired. "The Ministry is planning t-" "Hold that thought," interrupted Riddle. "I think I did it." Laav glanced at him at the sudden statement. He had a sinister smile plastered on his face but his eyes were focused on the people before them. "I looked for your heart in the right place, and I found it." "I don't think so," she shrugged, nodding her head towards the pale boy to continue.