𝟏𝟒: 𝖌𝖗𝖊𝖆𝖙 𝖑𝖆𝖐𝖊

Classes had just ended for the day and the group was getting ready to head out for a picnic in celebration of Emily's 18th birthday. Sirius had taken Emily out the whole morning leaving the rest of them to spend the evening together by the Great Lake. "Laav, are you sure you're okay coming with us?" Lily asked, looking at Laav's reflection through the mirror. "For the 100th time, Lily. Yes, I'm okay," "I'm just making sure," she shrugged. Lily knew what her friend was going through and with Laav, it was never easy. She didn't like being vulnerable. Lily couldn't blame her. Laav didn't deserve the way life treated her. "I'll move on sooner or later. That doesn't mean I'm going to miss group outings," Laav explained, slipping on the dress Lily lent to her. "Do I have to wear this?" she whined at the sight of her reflection in the mirror.

            "You heard her. The theme is blue, and for the chicas, a dress," Lily emphasized on the dress. Groaning, she slumped her shoulders causing the puffy sleeves to fall off her shoulders. Sounds of car tires screeched outside, capturing Lily's attention. She looked at Laav, gesturing for her to check the window. "Is that James?" Lily had finished her class earlier and decided to dress up in the comfort of the Potter's house since it was only minutes away from Hogwarts. Plus, she had baked her infamous tarts. Laav on the other hand used Lily as an excuse to skip classes. The plan was to gather at the Potter's and leave once everyone was ready. "Hold on," she huffed, pulling the sleeves up once again before walking towards the window. Laav pushed the curtains aside and peeped outside. There they were. Sirius and Emily. Both with a content smile on their lips as Sirius kissed Emily on the cheek by the car.

             Sirius felt a gaze piercing right at him. As Emily walked into the house, he looked up to find his favorite set of eyes staring down at him. She looked beautiful. He gave her a small smile and wave. She returned the smile. Her smile radiating the energy of the sun, filling his heart with warmth. He had been trying to be a better friend to her. Sure, it was hard seeing her with someone else but at least she was happy and that's all that mattered. He looks happy, she thought to herself before drawing the curtains. "It's Sirius and Emily," "Oh, I'm sorry." Laav hated it when people used a sympathetic tone on her. "Don't be," Laav's voice cold. Lily knew she had to divert the topic. "You can take this time to know Remus," she suggested. Laav shot Lily a look. "I'm pretty sure he's gay, or at least bi, Lily," Laav snorted. "Peter's cute though."

"You know that's not what I meant,"

"I'm only kidding," Laav defended. "Or maybe I'm not," she added with a wink before flaunting out the dorm.

Lily rolled her eyes, chuckling at her friend's cheekiness.

           The Marauders were busy planning their activities to do during the picnic, with James being the main target this time. "I think the barrel idea is a good one as long as you don't roll him off into the lake," Remus justified, ensuring the safety of his friend. "Oh, come on, Remus! That's the fun part," Peter whined. Laav grumbled her way down to the living room. James' gaze shifted to the staircase. He leaned forward from his seating position and clamped a hand over his mouth to prevent laughter from bursting out. Sirius noticed the dramatic expression on James' face and turned around, following the direction of his friend's stare.

           His grip on Emily loosened a little as he smiled lightly, amused at Laav's uncomfortable expressions. "Oh my god! Is Laav wearing a flowy dress?" James said in a dramatic tone. She glared at him. "And it has floral patterns on it!" he teased as only for her to intensify her glare. "Happy birthday, Emily." Laav reached to hug Emily. The hug was awkward considering the both of them never had physical contact before this. "I hope Sirius didn't bore you," she joked trying to lift the awkwardness. "Oh, he sure as hell didn't, if you know what I mean," Emily smirked looking at Sirius, marking her territory. Laav raised her eyebrows, an amused look took over her face. "I'm jealous of how you manage to pull off any style," James said as he side-hugged her, planting a kiss on the top of her head.

          "That's because I'm cool, unlike you," Laav grinned. "She's right, you know?" Lily agreed, appearing at the top of the staircase. "Finally, everyone's ready. About time we hit the lake," Remus groaned. "I've been dying to try your tarts, Lily. I heard they're amazing," Peter walked out of the house first, leading the way. Laav yelled and ran after Peter, tackling him. "They're all mine!" "Actually, they're mine, Laav," Sirius joined earning a laugh from Emily. "They're for me. It's my birthday," she clarified, clinging to his arm which was wrapped around her shoulder. "You're not going to fight for my tarts?" "I will. Now!" James ran after the group. "They're mine!" The group's chatter echoed through their surroundings as they made their way to the lake.

             This time, instead of using their usual wizardly ways, Remus had suggested they walk to the lake. It'll be fun, Remus' words echoed in her mind. "Well, Moony, it's not fun when your dress is constantly getting stuck to branches," Laav grumbled, tugging at her dress for the 16th time. Yes, she counted. "That's the 17th time," And so was James. He kicked a rock, walking beside Laav. "Sixteenth," she corrected. She shook her head, carefully treading among the trees, her heels squelching in the mud. A pair of leather tights and boots would've been much more comfortable. "Hey, over here! Look what I found," Remus yelled from the front. "Is that an Imperial Dragonfly?" Emily responded in excitement. Laav bit her lip in frustration as James effortlessly jogged to Remus in his shoes. She was trying her best not to ruin her outfit by rushing. There were already microtears on the hem of the dress.

              Just as she took another step forward, her dress caught on a bush. Frustrated, she tugged on her dress but it wasn't budging. She tugged once again only to feel a sharp pain below her collarbone. She peered down to see a deep scratch, caused possibly by a twig or a branch. "You don't want to do that again." She lifted her head to find Sirius walking towards her. He made his way behind her and bent down. "What are you doing?" she frowned. Without a word, he had managed to release her dress from the bush. Or so she thought it was. "Bowtruckles," he confirmed, gently picking it up and placing it on top of the tree. "They attack when they feel threatened." Sirius took a few steps towards Laav, stopping right behind her. "Like us," he completed his sentence. By this time, they were left behind. The group was way ahead and would've probably reached the lake. He peered over her shoulder. She felt him breathing down her neck. Even his faint breath excited the nerve endings on her neck.

              "Let's take care of that, shall we?" Sirius whispered referring to the scratch on her collarbone. The blood had begun to surface on the epidermal layer of her skin. Taking out his wand, he placed it on her collarbone from behind, pulling her slightly closer to him. Nearly losing her balance, Laav grabbed Sirius' left wrist, pressing her back against his chest. At the feel of his heartbeat, her own wildly skips. She tilted her head slightly upwards to find his already lowered, facing her. "Episkey." His eyes pierced into hers as he gently traced a circle around the scratch with his wand. Laav felt heat radiate around the wounded area, but it doesn't stop there. Heat radiated through her whole body. Sirius gently turned her around, his wand still on her collarbone. He couldn't help but get lost in the depths of her eyes. Tinted with the golden sunlight, she felt forbidden.

I want nothing more than to kiss you, he realized.

The both of them stood there in unspoken silence, beneath the lustrous-gold light that peeked through the lace of the leaves.

But you are not mine, Sirius smiled to himself. His smile; only a veneer on his sadness. He apparated into thin air, leaving Laav disconcerted among the glory of the forest.