𝟑𝟐: 𝖑𝖎𝖙𝖙𝖑𝖊 𝖆𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖑

Her hand swept aside the mist on the surface. In the bathroom mirror, a sinner took the frame. She leaned against the tub, staring at her gruesome image. They met once again, always standing face to face, with a questionable glance and an unfamiliar trace. She was afloat in an ocean of tears. With each breath, air escaped, and the salt of the tears blinded her eyes. Her lungs were crying for air, and her heart cried from pain, her body from pressure. And the world lost shape. "Laav," A knock on the door. Not even a moment of peace. The raven-black gossamer curtains blurred his figure and for a second, it seemed as though Sirius was standing in front of her. 

            She quickly wiped the pathetic tears off her cheeks and disguised the sadness with a welcoming tone. "Come in, Regulus." "You can't expect peace when you're standing on the grounds of evil," he put her thoughts into words, stepping into the room. His eyes lingered on the view in front of him before quickly turning away and facing the floor. "I don't need a philosophy lesson right now," she said, standing up and grabbing her robe. "Lord Voldemort is calling for you. He's at the cell," Regulus delivered the news, now facing the wall. And from the tiles in front of him, he saw her reflection. "Haven't I done enough?" "I don't know. You tell me." 

            The trail of her fragrance got stronger as she neared him. "You've gone off the rails, darling," he said softly. In the library, Regulus had overheard Barty praising Atheyas for her kill. He was sure she had spotted him lurking in between the shelves but he chose to remain hidden and she chose to pretend his absence. "I just have to play the villain a little while longer and once we win the battle, it'll all be okay," she assured him. He turned to look at her. Her hair was dripping wet, lips and cheeks rosy from the steam, and her dark circles had only gotten worse. The rings of deep melanin were badges of Voldemort's honor; every day the purple deepened to match the virtue of her abomination. Yet, she was still beautiful. "Are you just playing the villain? Or are you the villain?" he whispered. He had twisted her words into something they're not. No one ever told her that she was the villain of her own story. 

            "You've become dangerous. Your heart has misled you, Laav." She laughed dryly and held a pause. "What can I say? I got tangled in the web of love." Little did she know, Regulus was actually referring to her powers. He had been aware of it for quite some time. And he knew, with a snap of her fingers, she could destroy the world. "You shouldn't let your heart rule over your head, darling, because what is love if not fatal." He waited for her to deny it; she wanted to but Laav knew that to a certain extent he spoke nothing but the truth. And for a moment there, the future flashed in front of her eyes. There was no pretty ending to this story. Her silence was her answer.

            She pushed the curtains aside and walked into the room with Regulus tailing behind her. "Aren't you going to say something?" he pursued. "I'm sticking to the plan." She rummaged through her wardrobe, pulling out her choice of clothes for the night, and making her way back into the bathroom for a quick change. Regulus let out a scoff. "Unbelievable," he muttered under his breath. The wizard sat himself on her bed while waiting for her to change. He was tired of pretending everything was okay. He was tired of hiding the truth from her. And he surely was tired of being on the wrong side. "I'm surprised you're still here," Laav said, emerging out in a black satin robe that fell to her ankles whilst covering a matching Prussian blue nightgown beneath it. 

            "If you're adamant about continuing with this plan-" "You're not going to support me?" "No, quite the opposite actually. I'll help you fully activate your powers an-" Laav wanted to stop him right there but the knock on the door beat her to it. She cast him a skeptical look, instructing the maiden to come in. How did he know about her powers? "Lady Atheyas, The Lord is waiting for you," the girl spoke timidly with her head bowed down. Laav gave her a small smile. "I'll be right there. You can leave now, thank you." The young woman nodded in obeyance and closed the door, leaving the both of them in private. She turned to Regulus. "You know about my powers?" she frowned. Why had he not spoken to her about it? He was with her all of last night and today morning. "I overheard the Order talking about it right after the battle," he cleared her doubts. Laav grabbed her wand placed by her bedside table and headed for the door. "We'll talk more once I settle The Lord's matters," she said, looking over her shoulder. "That sounded different in my head," he teased. "Oh, shut up," she rolled her eyes and took off, earning a pleasant smile from her favorite Deatheater. 

            As soon as Regulus shut the door close, a hoarse voice called out, "Master." Regulus turned around and spotted his house-elf, curled up in the corner of the room. His petite body screamed for help and immediately, Regulus rushed to his side. "Kreacher! He-" "Wa... Water." The wizard wasted no time and grabbed a copper cup on the table at the fireplace from the other corner of the room. He picked up the jug but by the weight of it, he presumed it was empty. He hurried to the bathroom and turned the tap, filling the cup nearly to the brim. Kreacher's breath came ragged as his master walked towards him and crouched by his side. Regulus put the mouth of the cup to his elf's, tilting it slightly upwards as the creature held on to his master's hands, chugging the fluid desperately. "More please, Master." Regulus nodded and repeated the steps. As Kreacher swallowed the last drop of water, he wiped his mouth dry with the back of his hand. "Tell me what happened." 

"Lord Voldemort left Kreacher to die."

***

"You called for me?" 

            The Dark Lord stood in front of one of the cells scrutinizing his prey's movements. "Ah, yes. Laav, I was hoping you'd do something for me." She eyed him suspiciously as she made her way to his side. "That depends on what it is." He turned, looking down at her. Tonight she wasn't wearing her usual outfit. Riddle didn't really talk to her in the middle of the night and even if he did, she was usually in her 'Hasah' which meant Cloak of Death in Parseltongue. "I need to loan your wand," he said. "For what purpose exactly, may I ask?" "Why is that?" She shrugged in reply and faced him. "I may or may not charge interest." Riddle cocked an eyebrow at her money-minded personality. He would usually just hex someone who talked back but he played a different game this time. "Is the interest emotional or just physical?" Lucius' eyebrows raised in surprise. Was his leader trying to flirt? Keyword: trying. After seeing the unimpressed look on her face, he pursed his lips and gave in to her interrogation. "I need to use the Imperius Curse on someone." Her heart pounded loudly in her chest. Another Unforgivable Curse to be used by her wand?

            "Only bad guys use these curses. They deserve to go to jail. Do you know where the jail is?" "Azkaban.." a little Indian girl answered, her voice small and frightened. "And do you know what they do to people in Azkaban?" Younger Laav shook her head. "They suck the life out of you with the..." her mother's voice trailed off as Laav was engulfed by the blanket. Panicking, the child squeezed her eyes shut. She was swallowed by the darkness and light was nowhere to be seen. "Amma?" She was alone. The blanket rustled above her and she buried her face in her knees. "Dementors!" a deep voice yelled, lifting the blanket and revealing a very startled Laav who let out a loud scream. Her mother laughed and swiftly swooped the child into her arms. She held her daughter close to her chest and placed a kiss on her head. "Oh, my darling. You don't have to be scared," she soothed, caressing her jet-black hair. The mother pulled away and looked into her daughter's eyes. "You're not a bad guy. You're my little angel." 

             "Earth to Laav." A finger snapped in front of her. She had zoned out. "Where's your wand?" she questioned. Riddle let out an exasperated sigh. "An elf broke it. Now, will you help me or not?" Laav hesitated. The Unforgivable Curses were three of the most powerful and sinister spells known to the wizarding world. They were tools of the Dark Arts and were first classified as "Unforgivable" in 1717, with the strictest penalties attached to their use. The curses consisted of the three, one of them being the Imperius Curse. If she were to lend him her wand, she'd be one of the bad guys. You're my little angel. What would her mother say now, if she saw her standing beside the most powerful dark wizard, plotting their next plan? Would she still be her little angel? "Ask one of your little minions. What about Lucius? He's right there," she gestured to the platinum blonde wizard who stood a few feet away from them, blatant written all over his face. 

            "Rude," he groused deserving a threatening glare from the Dark Lord. Lucius' ego was quick to vanish and he bowed his head lightly. "Apologies, Lady Atheyas." "Very well then. I shall take my leave." Her eyes narrowed to the both of them before she walked up the steps hastily, eager to return to her room. Lucius stared at his leader awkwardly. "What?" Lord Voldemort snapped. He wondered if he should share his worries; I am afraid that Atheyas may be making you a little bit soft, My Lord but he knew saying that equaled to death so he'd rather not. 

The ardent follower shook his head. "Nothing, My Lord."