92

Chapter Ninety-Two

BEING HEAD GIRL did have its advantages. On top of having the most authority out of everyone in the student body, learners hurried to hide from Aria as she roamed the corridors.

At the other end of the room, she saw Hermione and Harry standing awfully close together and if she wasn't mistaken, the rule stated that boys and girls had to be eight inches apart.

With a smirk, she stormed over to them and handed Hermione a detention slip.

"What's this for?"

"You're within eight inches of Harry."

"Aria—" Harry tried to reason with her, but she silenced him with a glare. 

"Don't worry, I saw how she was advancing on you. You won't get detention." She assured her brother. "Granger, this is your first warning."

Hermione scowled and stormed away.

ϟ

Aria was pacing the halls one afternoon when she recognized a blonde girl sitting all alone. Usually, she would have paid no attention to the fifth-year Ravenclaw, but she had seen her face before.

She was at the meeting to discuss Harry's organization.

And she was one of the people who had not wanted her there — Aria assumed so at least.

She stormed towards her and ripped a magazine from her hand. "Educational Decree Number twenty-seven clearly states that any student in possession of The Quibbler will be expelled. As I do not have the authority to expel a student, you get a month's worth of detention."

The girl didn't argue as Aria had assumed she would and instead took the detention slip and wafted away seemingly in her own world and not caring about her punishment.

ϟ

It brought Aria much joy to see students immediately tuck in their shirts as she strolled past and watch as boys and girls hurried to either side of the corridor when they saw her, although she knew that there was no need to be obeying all of the school's rules when she looked over a very important one.

Educational Decree Number 24 stated that all student organizations were disbanded and that any student in noncompliance would be expelled.

She could have very well gone to Umbridge and told her everything about the D.A, but that would mean getting Harry and George expelled in the process.

As much as she wanted Granger and everyone else there who had questioned Harry or sent her a nasty look expelled, there were disadvantages that she was not willing to risk.

ϟ

Draco was made a prefect and seeing as he was in Slytherin it was Aria's job to instruct him.

"Basically, if there is a problem, you bring the student to me. Your job is to catch students breaking rules, like staying out after curfew and making sure everyone is behaving on the train. If detention is needed, bring them to me."

He had of course made a venereal comment, which Aria ignored and continued to instruct him.

"Surprised you're not with your boyfriend, Snape." Draco had said once she had finished explaining.

"Why is that surprising? Being head girl is a full-time job, you know?"

"After what happened to his father I thought you would be at his side."

Aria froze in position. "Something happened to Arthur?"

He nodded. "Don't know what, couldn't care to listen, but apparently he was attacked."

"When was this?"

He shrugged. "Last week? I don't know."

George hadn't mentioned anything. It was quite frustrating, the past few weeks had gone by and he'd barely spoken to her besides saying good morning or waving in the hallways. She expected that he was angry because she gave detention to all his friends, but he could have at least said something about Arthur.

"Did he not tell you, Snape?"

Aria frowned. "Of course he did. I have to go see him now. If you'll excuse me."

She wasn't going to give Draco the satisfaction of knowing that her relationship with George was slowly crumbling. She wasn't sure she was willing to admit it to herself yet either.

But try as she might, Aria could not locate the Weasley or any of his red-headed siblings. Harry was nowhere to be found either. It was a right mess.

"Miss Snape."

Aria turned at the annoying voice that she had grown so accustomed to. She forced a smile at the women in pink.

"I must commend you on a job well done. The corridors are very orderly." Umbridge walked alongside her. Aria snorted at the height difference — she towered over the pink lady.

"Thank you."

"Except, I have noticed how all of my rules are quite clearly stated, yet some students tend to ignore them."

"I will deal with them," Aria informed her. "I always do."

"Quite well, too. There is something that I would like your help with."

Aria stopped in her tracks. What in Merlin's name could this lady possibly want from her?

"It has come to my attention that some students are part of a secret organization." Aria felt her face pale. "I don't know what or who or where they hold their little meetings, but I have the prefects and Filch on the job. They have proved to be useless. I could use someone like you, with a good mind."

Aria gulped. She couldn't exactly say no. "Of course, Professor."

"Wonderful. Now, I must tell you that I think Harry Potter is leading this organization, I know you two are in some way related. Don't let that stop you from finding out the truth."

"It won't, Professor."

She smiled up at Aria. "Excellent. I knew I could count on you." She said and skipped away.

Aria exhaled when she could no longer see the pink nightmare. Now she had a new problem. How was she going to keep her position as head girl and give the stuck-up Gryffindors what they deserved all while protecting her brother and her boyfriend at the same time? It was going to be a challenge.