73

Chapter Seventy-Three

"ARIA!"

"GEORGE, WHAT?" Aria stopped where she stood and turned to glare at the boy who had been pursuing her since their Defense Against the Dark Arts lesson. "What in the bloody hell could you want on this fine morning? I'm actually in a good mood, please don't ruin it."

She had managed to outmaneuver him for a while, but he had finally tracked her down.

"I need to talk to you."

She sighed. "If this is about the second task, don't worry. I'll figure it out myself."

"It's not."

"Well then, speak." She folded her arms, annoyed that he was wasting her time.

He cleared his throat. "The other day when you competed in the first task, I realized something."

Aria had a feeling she knew where this was going.

"I realized that I made a mistake. Seeing you hex and curse that dragon and then turn that reporter blue, made me remember how much I love everything about you. I miss you, more and more every day and I made a big mistake by letting you go. It was in the moment and I was mad because you blew up the wall and because of Malfoy and..." he trailed off. "I'm not asking to get back together right away, but would you please give me a second chance?"

Aria stared at him, stunned. She blinked her eyes a few times in disbelief. She didn't know whether she was dreaming or not. "What?" That was all she managed to get out.

"Don't say anything now. You can tell me your answer at the Yule Ball, that is if you'll go with me?"

That was the second question he had asked in five minutes that she did not have an answer to. "Can I have some time to think?"

He nodded. "Of course."

It was obvious to Aria that despite everything she still had feelings for George. No matter how many times she had wished he would just disappear or how many times she wanted to curse him or tried to completely forget about him, he was always lingering in her mind.

It wasn't easy to forget someone that had been so special to her. He had been her first and she had loved George more than anything.

But she knew that if she said yes so many things would go wrong. Draco would be upset, her house would be disappointed, her father would be furious and Anna would probably knock her out.

But what about what she wanted? She wasn't sure that anyone else would even think of asking her, let alone get past Malfoy to do so and she really wanted a date to the dance. The thought of going with George made her heart skip a beat.

This didn't have to mean anything either. She could go with him and then decide that she didn't actually want to be with him anymore and then that would be that. Not that she would ever pass up the chance to get back together with him.

Would she ever truly be over George? Would going with him to the Yule Ball just make everything worse when it came to seeing him on a daily?

Aria stepped into the common room and was greeted with the most ghastly sight.

Malfoy and Parkinson were snogging. Right on the couch for everyone to witness.

Anna grimaced as she walked past them and stopped next to Aria. "Just asked her to the dance."

"He did?"

She nodded. "You're really stupid when it comes to him, you know. I don't care if he is a fourth year, I think you two make the most wonderful couple."

Aria snorted. "Clearly, he thinks otherwise."

With one last glance in his direction and whilst trying to contain her disgust, Aria ran out of the common room.

That was a sight that she never wanted to see again. For some reason, the image of his hands all over her and her position on his lap created a feeling in the pit of her stomach that she wasn't sure she liked.

"George." She caught him in the hallway.

"Yes?" He looked hopeful as he turned to face her.

"I thought about it and... I'd love to go to the Yule Ball with you."

His face brightened at her words. "Really?"

She nodded. "Yes. I think it'll be nice for both of us."

"Great." His smile just kept growing. "I'll see you tomorrow night then." He glanced back. "I have to get to class, but Aria... you've made me the happiest person alive right now." He leaned in and swiftly kissed her cheek. "Thank you."

She felt her face grow red. "I... uh... just go to class." She chuckled as he raced away, but kept turning back to smile at her.

Perhaps it wasn't such an awful decision after all. Only time would tell.