38

Chapter Thirty-Eight

ARIA STROLLED ACROSS the grounds, Harry on one side, Ron on the other completely invisible thanks to Harry's cloak. Much to her dismay, the way they planned to find out more about the heir involved going into that horrible dwelling on the grounds that Hagrid lived in. She had tried to suggest an alternative way, but the boys were dead set on him being their only source of information. She only hoped that it smelled better than it looked.

Harry knocked on the door and a moment later, the giant gamekeeper kicked it open, crossbow in hand as he demanded to know who was at his door.

Harry lowered the cape and Aria could see that the two boys were just as shocked as she was to have such a large weapon aimed at them. "What's that for?" Harry asked.

"Nothing. I was expecting... It doesn't matter." His eyes drifted to Aria for a lingering moment. "Come on in. I just made a pot of tea."

Aria walked in behind Ron and Harry, rubbing her arms in an attempt to keep warm. She glanced back to look at the dark grounds, swearing she saw movement, and hurried into the shack, closing the door behind her.

Aria watched in confusion as Hagrid began to pour the tea, not stopping when it reached the top and began to roll down the sides of the mug. She had known he was a bit odd, but she didn't expect this.

"Hagrid, are you okay?"

"I'm fine. I'm all right."

Harry proceeded to ask him about Hermione while Aria examined the house. She had never been inside and aside from the stinky dog, the place was more freshly scented than she had imagined. Of course, she didn't particularly like the trinkets that lay around, the place was very messy.

"Look, we have to ask you something." Harry glanced between Ron and Aria. "Do you know who's opened the Chamber of Secrets?"

Hagrid hesitated before answering. "What you have to understand about that is-"

A loud knock on the door interrupted him and caused Aria to jump. Had they been followed? Harry threw the cloak over all of them as Hagrid went to open the door.

"Professor Dumbledore, sir."

Aria felt her heart drop. She was going to be expelled she just knew it. She closed her eyes, awaiting his imminent speech as to why she was being expelled.

The Minister of Magic accompanied Dumbeldore into Hagrid's house. "Bad business, Hagrid, very bad business. Had to come. Three attacks on Muggle-borns. Things have gone far enough. The Ministry's got to act."

"But I never... Professor, you know I never."

Aria wondered, why was Hagrid having to defend himself? Why did the Minister of Magic personally come into his house and speak to him as if he were a suspect in the attacks on Muggles?

"I want it understood, Cornelius that Hagrid has my full confidence."

"Albus, look, Hagrid's record is against him."

Perhaps, Aria thought, there was more to the gamekeeper than she had previously assumed.

"I've got to take him."

"Take me where?" Hagrid demanded. "Not Azkaban prison!"

"I'm afraid we have no choice, Hagrid."

Aria watched as the door opened and Lucius Malfoy strutted in.

"What are you doing in here? Get out of my house!" Hagrid demanded upon seeing Lucius.

"Believe me." Aria held her breath as he stepped closer. "I take absolutely no pleasure in being inside your..." He examined the place. "You call this a house?"

Aria grinned despite herself at his words.

"No. I simply called up the school and was told the Headmaster was here."

"Well, what exactly is it that you want with me?"

"The other governors and I have decided it's time for you to step aside. This is an order of suspension." Lucius stepped forward to hand Dumbeldore a rolled-up piece of parchment. "You'll find all twelve signatures on it. I'm afraid we feel you've rather lost your touch. Well, what with all these attacks, there'll be no Muggle-borns left at Hogwarts. I can only imagine what an awful loss that would be to the school." He looked exactly like Draco as he smirked.

"You can't take Professor Dumbeldore away." Hagrid objected. "Take him away and the Muggle-borns won't stand a chance. You mark my words, there'll be killings next!"

"You think so?"

"Calm yourself, Hagrid. If the governors desire my removal I will, of course, step aside. However," Dumbledore began to pace. "You will find that help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it." And as if he could see through the invisibility cloak, Dumbeldore grinned at the three students.

"Admirable sentiments." Lucius sneered. "Shall we?"

Fudge tried to lead Hagrid to the door, who made a step and then stopped, talking to the air about his dog or something, Aria had stopped listening.

Harry threw the cloak off the moment they were left alone, panting heavily and he and Ron discussed what had happened.

"Look," Harry said and stepped forward. Aria yelped as she saw a trail of spiders climbing across the wall.

She didn't like spiders at all, in fact, they were her biggest fear.

"Come on."

"Wait!" Aria stopped Potter. "Where are we going?"

"Didn't you hear Hagrid? We have to follow the spiders."

Aria and Ron shared the same look as they followed Harry outside, a look of fear as they saw the spiders heading into the Dark Forest.

Aria merely trailed behind them as Ron mumbled something about butterflies. She willed herself to be brave, she only hoped that was enough.