70

Chapter Seventy

"BADGE FOR YOU?" Draco's voice rang loudly across the common room. "And for you? I know you want one." He finally reached Aria and shoved his hand towards her. "Want a badge?"

She looked down at what appeared to be Potter's face contorting into Cedric's and then her own. "What is this? Another one of your Hate on Harry trends?"

Draco rolled his eyes. "You and I both know he cheated to get into the tournament. Every wizard knowing his name isn't enough for him, wants eternal glory on top of it. That badge is to show support to our real champions-you and Cedric."

"You don't even like Cedric."

"He's a heck of a lot better than Potter and besides, it was Blaise's idea to put him on there. If I'd had it my way, it would just be your pretty face."

"Well thank you, but no thank you. This," she grabbed the badge, "is horrible and I won't be wearing one, in fact, anyone who does can go to hell." Aria couldn't believe Malfoy, Harry was a victim in this-or so she assumed-and even if he wasn't, he was still one of the Hogwarts champions. Draco may as well have been supporting Fleur instead seeing as he was going against someone on his side. Utterly ridiculous.

Draco snorted and shoved the badge into his pocket. "Suit yourself, you're the only one who has a problem." He muttered and wandered to a group of Slytherins who were wearing the awful badges.

It baffled Aria, how could they be so cruel at a time like this? She would never do something like this to someone so undeserving of it.

They had been unfairly placed into the tournament and were now going to have to fight for their lives. Aria thought that she had better tell Potter about the first task, in an act of solidarity against all those who were against them.

ϟ

Her classes had flashed by and she was currently walking down the hallway towards the library in an attempt to find anything that could be used to harm a dragon. She feared that there would be nothing, but it couldn't hurt to look.

"Aria rules!" Someone shouted as she walked past and she couldn't help but blush.

In the courtyard, she could see Harry and Cedric talking and so she hurried over, arriving just as their conversation ended.

"Aria." Cedric smiled as she approached.

"Hi." She pushed past him and made her way over to Harry. "There's something I need to tell you, Potter."

He looked her up and down, his eyes stopping by the collar of her robes and once he noticed that she was not wearing a badge, he nodded. "What is it?"

"The task. Someone tipped me off, it's dragons."

"I already know, I was on my way to tell you, actually."

"How do you know?" Aria stopped. "Oh, Ronald."

"No, Hagrid, actually. I suppose you heard it from-"

"George." She muttered. "Anyway, I just wanted to let you know and also..." her eyes wandered around and spotted Draco in a tree not far off. Bloody embarrassing. "I want to apologize for the badges that Malfoy's passing around. They really are vile."

"You're the first Slytherin I've seen not wearing one." He smiled.

"Well, I won't be wearing one. I know we're supposed to be competing and all, but... we were both unfairly placed into this tournament and so I think it's only right that we show each other some support. Especially with everyone being so small-minded."

He nodded. "That sounds... great. Yeah." The smile on his face was unmistakable. He was grateful to have an ally. It appeared that even Ronald had left his side, especially considering the glaring match that was taking place between Potter and him at that very second.

"You're a right foul git, you know that?" Potter snapped as they reached Ron.

"You think so?"

"I know so?"

"Anything else?" Ron replied.

"Yeah... stay away from me."

"Fine." Ron stormed away.

"Harry, what-" Before Aria had a chance to finish her sentence, about to ask what in Merlin's name was the matter with Ron, she was interrupted.

"Why so tense, Potter," Draco called from the tree. Aria glared up at him, but he didn't acknowledge. Harry groaned and sent Aria a look of disdain. She knew it was aimed toward Malfoy, though. "My father and I have a bet you see." He jumped from the branch he was on, landing right next to her.

"Malfoy." Aria sighed.

He shooshed her. "I don't think you're gonna last ten minutes in this tournament. He disagrees." Aria glanced towards him in confusion. "He thinks you won't last five."

The few Slytherins that surrounded Draco laughed. Aria felt the need to defend Harry but resisted it. She didn't need to get on her House's bad side, especially not right before the first task.

"I don't give a damn what your father thinks, Malfoy." Harry shoved him. "He's vile and cruel... and you're just pathetic."

Aria watched as Draco's face distorted angrily. "Pathetic?"

"I don't know why you even hang around with him," Harry mumbled to Aria once he had turned his back.

"Aria hangs around with me because I'm better at snogging than her stupid Weasley boyfriend!" Draco snapped and raised his wand to curse Harry.

Aria didn't even get a chance to be angry at his snide comment before the boy who had stood in front of her was now small and white and... an animal!

Professor Moody was at her side, moving Draco all around with his wand.

"Professor! Professor Moody!" Aria cried. "Stop!"

It was clear, judging by his manic laugh that he was not going to stop and so Aria did what she thought was best and raced towards Malfoy, grabbing the small white ferret to stop him from floating around.

It was only seconds later that McGonagall transfigured him back into himself, causing both of them to tumble to the ground.

Draco had landed on top of her and was now staring down happily at her face. His panic lasted for a second, his expression was now one of total delight and ecstasy. "I could get used to this view." He whispered and made to kiss her.

She shoved his face away from hers. "Only in your dreams, Malfoy."

"For now. It'll happen. You can't resist all of this."

And for a short moment, with his face only inches from hers, Aria agreed, but only for a short moment before she shoved him off of her completely and stood up, glaring at everyone whose eyes remained fixated on them, including one particular Weasley twin on the other side of the courtyard.