Chapter 30

Violet showed up at the dock with Lena just a while after the sun had gone down. They had agreed to meet higher up the dock from Funzo's to regroup. Not much time had passed when Louie, Dewey, and Webby came to meet them. Violet raised an eyebrow at them, as they were all wearing black hoodies, and Webby in particular had smudged back mascara on her cheeks.

"What?" Louie handed them two more black hoodies. "It's called espionage, so join the hoodie club."

Violet and Lena exchanged a look. Finally Violet shrugged and slipped the hoodie over her small figure. She pulled the hood low over her face. "Boyd and Gosalyn should be here soon. Gosalyn said she's having trouble getting past their dads. By Boyd's dad, I assume she means Gyro."

"Here!" As if talking about the redhead had summoned her, Gos and Boyd emerged from the bushes. She had her crossbow in hand. Gosalyn panted while glaring at Boyd. "Would've been here sooner if someone wasn't a terrible liar!"

"Who's that?" Boyd asked innocently.

Gosalyn rubbed the bridge of her beak and sighed.

Webby handed them hoodies while Louie began laying out the plan. "Okay, we'll sneak in there and divide and conquer. A team will go after the journal while B team finds Huey." He drew their plan in the dirt and stared at it determinedly.

"And Katie?" Gosalyn rubbed her arm and gave Louie a half smile. Violet looked down, feeling partially guilty for pushing the red head away. She nodded. She needed to apologize too.

"Fine. And Katie. But she's not one of our priorities." He didn't need to say it because Violet knew what he was going to. Huey is. The disappearance of the red triplet had impacted them so much. But now was it. They would either come home victorious, putting an end to FOWL once and for all, or go home, broken and more likely dead.

Violet shuddered at that thought. Lena rested her arm on Violet's head with a smirk on her face. "No worries, we got this. Are we ready?"

Webby nodded. "Yeah, I think that's everything. Dewey, Louie, and I are on B team, and Gos, Lena, Violet, and Boyd are on A team. Ready? Break!" Before anyone could stop her, Webby ran off towards Funzo's.

"I guess... We're going then." Louie turned to go after Webby, Dewey following behind.

Violet moved to stand in front of her group. "We should probably go around back and try to sneak into the office that way. I think Bradford would either keep the journal in his office or whatever room they have the machine in." She tapped a finger to her ear, pacing.

Lena folded her hands together. "Yeah, but what does this machine actually do?"

"We don't know yet. You don't think they already set it off, do you?" Boyd asked.

"Hopefully not. Come on, let's go." Violet marched ahead of the group, trying to keep her monotone expression. But deep down she was in a state of heavy panic.

...

They snuck into the employees only room and found the secret elevator using Lena's magic. The four stepped out the elevator once they reached the FOWL headquarters. Lena led the others through the halls, her senses tense. Violet had informed her about everything that had happened while she was home. It seemed like they had done quite a lot without her.

"Is there like a pamphlet with a map or something, or..." Gosalyn frowned when they reached a fork in the halls.

"Maybe we could ask for help!" Boyd started down one path where two eggheads were walking together. Lena face palmed.

"Should we help him?" Violet whispered.

Gosalyn smirked. "Nah, he's got this." Lena watched the scene from around the corner.