A Glance Across the Street (Race)

Race is mid-conversation with his friends, mid-way through his bag of papers still left unsold. He should be focusing on talking to Albert and Jojo, and he should definitely be trying to get the last few of his papes sold before the night grows too old and he's out of customers to swindle. He knows all of this, yet his gaze keeps slipping from his fellow newsies or passing bankers to rest on one girl down the block.

Y/N is selling papes too, her grin contagious as she manages to talk even the most persnickety of passersby into purchasing the daily newspaper. Her newsie cap is slightly askew, and Race's hand twitches by his side as if he longs to fix it, to look down and see her flash him a grateful smile. Honestly, Race is starting to think that he has a problem when it comes to Y/N L/N.

As it turns out, Race is not the only one to notice this: although he attempts to quickly jerk his attention back to the conversation at hand, Albert and Jojo notice the fact that he isn't quite responding on time and try to figure out what's got his focus hooked. Albert follows Race's line of sight and a vicious grin appears on his face. Race tries to look away hurriedly, pretending he was just following the path of a potential customer, but it's too late- they've both seen.

Jojo loops an arm around Race's shoulders, clasping the other hand firmly over his heart. "Well, if my eyes don't deceive me, I think Racer here has a little crush." Race scoffs, pulling away from the boy. "As if. I'm just trying to sell my last papes." Albert rolls his eyes. "Is that why you haven't sold one in half an hour? If I didn't know better, I'd say you'se trying to lose money."

This is a fierce accusation for a newsboy who prides himself on his ability to make any deal to even the most unlikely of customers, and Albert knows it. So, when Race snatches his cap from his mess of blond curls, ready to swat it most brutally into Albert's head, the red-haired boy is able to easily dart away in time to avoid the killing blow. Race tries one last time, but his attacks fall short when he hears a voice from behind him.

"What's going on here? Why are you trying to murder Albert?" Race's eyes widen in spite of himself, and he straightens up hurriedly, slapping his hat back on his head as if he'd just been stretching. "I don't know what you're talking about. We're just having a, uh, friendly conversation." Albert looks positively gleeful over this, but he doesn't say a word. Y/N raises her eyebrows. "I don't know about that. I'd swear there was going to be bloodshed."

Albert may be willing to save him from the fires this once, but Jojo is not so generous. Instead, he casually leans on Y/N's shoulder, practically savoring the way Race's shoulders stiffen. Race does his best to ignore this, forcing a casual smile. "Well, maybe Albert deserved it. You know him." Y/N tilts her head to the side, considering this. "I do know him. What's he done now?" Albert and Jojo look between Race and Y/N like they're watching a sports match, curious as to what explanation Race can manage without telling her the true reason for the near beatdown.

Race mentally stumbles for a moment, then comes up with a scrap of something. "He insulted my brand of cigars. I couldn't have that, could I?" Y/N's eyes glint with barely contained amusement, and Race thanks everything holy that his excuse held up. "Oh, I get it now. I'm sorry to interrupt the carnage." Race grabs Y/N's hand, pulling her away from Albert, Jojo, and their twin mocking expressions to continue walking down the street.

"That's alright. Now, come on- I think I saw a few tourists. Think we can scam 'em?" Y/N laughs as she follows him down the block. "Without a doubt. Is that them?" She jerks her chin towards a cluster of families pausing by a florist, all of them in the newest fashions. They practically reek of wealth, which makes them the perfect targets for newsies in desperate need of unloading some papes. Race nods, and Y/N's grin widens. "Oh, this is going to be fun. Race you there, Racer!"