Of All the People (Spot)

It has not been the greatest day, to say the least. Brooklyn makes it hard to grow up here, hard to find a way to survive without selling your soul to make it. You've been making do with your family, but as the days go by, you know that you can't stay forever. Anywhere would be better than that house, even living on the streets and rooftops like many of the city's other teenagers.

You're looking for a way out now, actually. Well-paying jobs are few and far between, especially for girls, but you do your best. You've got a few options right now, and all you have to do is figure out which one is the least bad. At least then you've got a shot.

Right now, you're heading home for the day, distracted by thoughts of the workplace you just toured. There's an option open as a junior, junior clerk at a nearby business, more a minimalist secretary than anything else. It would be inside, but your would-be boss was giving you weird vibes, so you're not sure how you feel about it.

You hug your arms to your chest as you walk. It feels like you're surrounded by bad options, with no good path forward. Some days, you swear the city has it out for you. Seconds later, a boy runs straight into you, as if confirming your thoughts.

You should just brush it off and ignore him. However, you're tired and frustrated, and this boy hasn't even apologized, so you refuse to let your temper fade away this time.

"Hey, watch where you're going."

You manage to put as much judgment into the words as possible and the boy turns around, surprised to see you addressing him.

"You talking to me?"

You raise an eyebrow. "Did anyone else run into me?"

The boy has the nerve to grin. "Well, my bad, sweetheart. Maybe you should have moved out of my way."

This just makes your blood boil. "I don't remember this being my fault. You ran into me, remember?"

The boy smirks, looking like a devil in the flesh. "Do I remember? Who knows, love. Maybe you just wanted an excuse to stop me in my tracks."

You scoff. "Oh, get over yourself. An apology would be fine, but seeing as I don't think that's going to happen any time soon, I'll be on my way."

You move to go, but the boy neatly sidesteps in front of you, blocking your way. "Come on, sweetheart, we were just getting started. You're cute when you're mad, you know."

You let out a frustrated sigh as you walk past him. The boy, however, just keeps walking by your side. "You shouldn't call girls cute if you've just met them."

The boy pretends to frown. "What else would I do, lie to them? I'm an honest man."

You glare at him. "What you are is annoying. Are you going to let me go now?"

The boy spreads his hands. "As I recall, you're the one who called after me."

You decide that you hate him, this boy and his stupid red shirt and the way he walks like he owns the city itself. "Well, I'm taking it back now. Good day, whoever you are, I hope to never see you again."

He shouts after you as you go, loud enough to attract curious stares from passersby and make embarrassed heat rise to your cheeks. "Likewise!"

The next day is rough. You can't seem to find a job, and you're just about to give up hope when your eyes fall on a group of teenagers about your age crowded around a street corner. They're out in full force, these newsboys, all angling to catch new customers as they walk home in the evening. Just like that, it hits you- why don't you go join the newsies? The pay's no worse than any other corner of this city.