All in the Words (Race)

Dawn comes and goes, and you are not there to see it. Normally, this would fill you with more than a small amount of fear– miss your morning schedule, and you'll be hours behind when it comes to selling newspapers. Newsies live in the daylight hours, shouting slogans and catchy headlines as long as there are still people out on the street who can see enough to hand you coins. It does make it difficult to get up so early each morning, but it's not like you have a ton of options otherwise.

Yet when you open your eyes this morning and see not sunrise but a well established day, you feel not a bit displeased with yourself. After all, why should you? Today, as it turns out, all newsies across the city will have a day off. The newspapers don't like printing on holidays, so you can get off scot free for the whole set of twenty-four hours. Nothing says special like that.

For newsies, days off are a bit of a mixed bag. There is, of course, the immediate response to hearing that you won't have to get up at dawn and spend too many hours out on the streets hawking papes. That would explain the shrieks and calls of glee from some of the younger newsies. Older ones, too. The second Jack Kelly heard about the holiday, he muttered something about having to talk to someone and hurried off in the direction of the New York Sun. You have a feeling he's tracking down a particularly pretty journalist.

It's great to think that you won't have to work. However, you aren't a newsie for the thrill of it. Not working means you don't get paid, and that's far less fun than one would care to imagine. That's why you've been carefully saving your pennies for weeks now, just trying to make sure you'll have enough to cover today's costs before your job comes back the next day. It's a life spread thin, to be sure, but it's what you've got, and you don't intend to waste it.

Still, sleeping in is pretty nice indeed. You allow yourself one last moment of leisure before dragging yourself out of bed. Most kids in the Manhattan Lodging House have partaken in the same delights– more than half of them are still sleeping peacefully in their bunks. You do your best to get ready as quietly as you can, and shut the door silently behind you.

By the time noon rolls around, the rest of your friends are up and at 'em. Most of you are choosing to either kick back and relax in the Lodging House or go look for trouble somewhere else in the city. You heard Spot popped in once to check on a deal with Jack, but other than that, there are no threats in sight.

None to your physical health, at least. Threats to your peace and quiet still exist. You've barely sat down on your favorite threadbare armchair in a corner of the main room (the title being won by a good few rounds of fisticuffs, all solidly settled in your favor) before your name is being tossed around by some of the newsies nearby. You have a feeling that they're trying to be discreet, but their whispers sound more like shouts when you're indoors instead of yelling to be heard in the streets of Manhattan.

Four boys are causing trouble today, as it appears. Race, Jojo, Albert, and Romeo. All of the newsies are good friends– you have to be, at any rate, or you'll lose your head with the godawful conditions of being outside all day– but these four are no exception. They're the closest of anyone here, exceptions being Jack and Crutchie.

Today it seems they'll be proving their camaraderie by trying to get a rise out of you. This isn't anything special. You have a bit of a reputation for being stone cold, but can they blame you? Girls have to fight twice as hard to stay alive in this city, so what if you're more here to keep yourself afloat than make friends? You're nice when you have to be, but you keep your distance when you want it. Just because you're not flirting all the time doesn't mean you hate the rest of them.

The 'Hattan boys know you don't hate them, but that doesn't stop the four newsies nearest you from trying to win you over anyway in the only method they know best: being annoying and turning everything into a joke. Romeo tries his luck first, shooting his shot with a tip of his cap and a wink. You arch one derisive brow, which is all it takes for him to give up and head back to his friends.

Albert is next. He starts off strong with a story about a dream he'd had last night about pretty girls going out with him, but you cut him off thoughtfully with a recollection of a dream you'd had recently where all boys left you alone under pain of death. Struck out, he gestures for Jojo to take over.

Jojo's attempts at flattery are so awful that you give up on trying to entertain yourself by watching them fail. You reach over for a paperback Katherine had left behind on her last visit to the Manhattan Lodging House. The book serves the dual purpose of letting you ignore the laughter of the boys and also hiding your face for the last of their attempts.

See, you can ignore Albert or Romeo any day. They're just friends, just coworkers. You'll never see them in any sort of romantic light. The problem comes with Race. Race is charming. Race is cute. Race is the only one who has ever been able to get through the strongest of your walls. It doesn't matter if he's just doing it as a joke, if Race flirts with you in the slightest, you will be affected by it.

Best to make sure he can't tell, then, so you prop up the book in front of your face and pray he can't see the slight smile that makes its way across your lips when Race tries his hand at flirting. It wasn't even a good pickup line. Still, it worked, and that is absolutely devastating to your reputation.

The worst part is that he knows it, too. Even though you do your best to act as if you're absolutely fine, you can tell by the triumphant tilt of his head that he knows it. Y/N's got a weakness at last, and it's Race. Of course it is.

The other boys don't seem to have caught on, though, they're just laughing raucously amongst themselves about the usual. Albert calls something out to Race about wanting to go take a tour of the shop next door, but Race doesn't even look back, gesturing for them to go on without him without turning even once.

"You should go with them," you say as indifferently as you can.

"Why?" Race asks, cocking his head to the side, "I've got a far prettier sight in front of me right now."

You roll your eyes, but even you can feel the slight heat pricking your cheeks. "You're insufferable."

"Apparently not," Race muses, "or you wouldn't be smiling at me."

You do your best to hide the offensive expression away, but your best attempts at staying serious just make your smile more stubborn. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Sure you don't," he says happily, "it's not just because of me, is it? I bet Y/N L/N would never be susceptible to something like a boy."

"Not even to a cute boy?" You ask, eyes wide with pretend surprise.

This, of all things, makes Race stutter over his words. You didn't think it would be possible for Race to get nervous over someone flirting with him, but apparently you were wrong, because he's all but shaking in his boots right now.

"That's sweet of you," he manages to eke out.

You grin. The tables have turned. "Funny," you say, "I didn't think Race Higgins would ever be susceptible to something like a girl."

"I love it when you pay attention to me," Race retorts, but it carries far less of the easy confidence he'd had earlier. In fact, Race looks like he can't believe his eyes.

"I'm sure you do," you muse, "Shame it doesn't happen more often. If I knew you were going to react like this, maybe I would have started flirting back earlier."

"I think you should keep doing it anyway," Race whispers.

You laugh. "Only if you flirt back."

"Oh, always, sweetheart, you know that," Race says.

It's easy to smile after that. Maybe Race has been flirting with you for a while, but maybe he's meant what he said all along, too. It's good that you'll have plenty of time to figure him out, then. Yes, plenty of time indeed.