The Chosen- Chapter 5

::CHAPTER 5::

An hour had passed and Orion was still in his second form. He refused to shift no matter how much we asked him to. His wolf side paid as much attention to me as his human side ignored me so I guess that it wasn’t too bad that he didn’t shift. At least I had a playmate. We’d been playing for a while and he showed me all of his favorite toys. The wolf’s favorite toys.

Wolf Orion didn’t seem too fond of his babysitter. He snapped whenever Richie came near. Sharing didn’t seem to be his strong point when the animal was in charge and that animal had adopted me as his own. He wouldn’t allow Richie to as much as look at me for too long.

“I know I brought him here to keep you company but I thought I’d get some attention too,” Richie said to Orion. He gave a bark. “I’m not allowed to talk to either of you?” His question was answered with a little growl from the ball of snowy fur in my lap. I fed the wolf from the raw lamb we found on the counter top earlier. He munched on the bite sized bits and brushed his nose with a paw. He knew how to be spoilt. That was clear. “You’re too cute for your own good,” I muttered and shook my head. If it were possible, I’d have sworn that he grinned.

“It’s getting late. Are we going to bathe him? His tail and feet are a bit dirty,” I peered at a paw, “I think we should give him a bath.” The animal in my lap stilled at the word ‘bath’.

“Sure I’ll go get one ready,” Richie nodded and went up to the second floor.

“Come on, let’s get you upstairs,” I smiled.

It took a second to see my mistake. Orion dove off my lap and took off at full speed. “Crap,” I huffed and broke into a run. He was incredibly fast and every time I got close enough, he sped up. He dove and leaped all over the house. I cursed the largeness of the building twenty minutes later.

I was doubled over panting and there was no sign of Orion. I’d cornered him in the playroom but there were endless places for him to hide. “Orion it’s just a bath. Come out. Please?” I heaved, “I’m tired and it’s late.”

I could have tried to trick him but I’d been around the Chosen long enough to know that they were too smart to be easily fooled. One by one I opened the closets and checked the toy bins. A cough. Well something sounding like a cough. My head spun around to the fireplace. It was a bare two feet away. With a dive I stuck my hand inside and found the pup. “You clever little bugger. I wouldn’t have ever checked in there.”

He was covered in soot and ashes. “If you didn’t need a bath before you sure need one now,” I looked at his grimy fur. He began to squirm around in my arms yapping away. I clutched him tighter to my chest before he got the chance to escape again. The closer we got to the stairs, the more he wriggled. Before I could tighten my grip, he climbed out of my arms and made to run down the stairs.

“Orion White!” He froze and turned back to me. “I swear to you,” I hissed, “If I have to chase you again, you don’t want me to catch you a second time.” Sweat beaded my forehead and my chest heaved. “You make me run you up and down this bloody house one more time, and I will tie you down and make a trim for my jacket out of your fur,” I panted. He tilted his head to the side as if sizing me up; weighing the possibility of my threat. “Get your tail into the bathroom and in the tub.” I pointed upstairs.

He let out a huff but still walked up the stairs. His gaze was reproachful as he passed me. I couldn’t care less. I was hot, sweaty and tired. It was a sign of how upset he was with me that he let Richie bathe him.

There he sat in a pool of bubbles and warm water with annoyed eyes blinking in my direction. He had soap suds slicking the top of his furry head into a mohawk. The water grew dirtier the more Richie scrubbed. We emptied the bath and hosed him down a final time.