The Chosen- Chapter 6

Today's my birthday :) And because today (17th January) is the awesomest day of the year, I've decided to do another upload of this story. Yes I'm giving you people a gift on my birthday. Sigh. I'm a saint. So maybe I'll get extra comments and votes and comments as a Happy Birthday present ;)

::CHAPTER 6::

It’s very hard to dodge someone who goes to the same school and has all the same classes that you do. Lunch time had come and I still hadn’t been dunked in the toilet. It was a miracle. The even bigger miracle was that Kevin hadn’t been attacked yet either.

The kid was proud of his new do. He was practically advertising it with all of his pointing and boasting. I should have asked for duct tape for my birthday instead of those stupid wheelie sneakers. I glared at Kevin as he started yet another loud rant on how cool the hair dresser’s salon was. I don’t think it got through to him that it was not cool for a boy to show off about getting a haircut like that at a salon of all places. Boys go to the village barbers. Who didn’t know that?

I opened my lunch bag and spotted the mother load. Chocolate pudding. It was my favorite, but it was Kevin’s favorite too. It was about the only thing that could shut him up. “Dude. Look. Do you want this?” I shoved the little plastic cup into his hands and gave him a spoon. He didn’t have the table manners of a human being to say thank you, but he did rip the cover off and dig into it. Thank God. He had no interest in me anymore. Pushing the hair out of my eyes, I let out a breath. A breath that I didn’t even realize I was holding.

Orion, Kenny and the others sat at a table not too far away. Kenny was looking at me pityingly and Orion’s face said ‘hang in there buddy’. I forced a smile for them. Both shared a look and turned away. We’re that painful to watch? I chanced a glace in Kevin’s direction and sighed. Yeah we are. His cheek was smeared with chocolate. “Umm, I have something to do. I’ll be right back,” I stood up and grabbed my bags. He flashed me a puddingy grin and two thumbs up. Glancing at Orion and Kenny’s table, I could see some of the boys laughing at Kevin.

There’s no hope for him. I left the cafeteria and went roaming down the hallways. One mistake was all it took. I had met Kevin on the first day of school before we were even assigned the same class. The bell hadn’t rung yet and I went to use the bathroom when I’d heard scuffling sounds coming from around the bend.

There in a corner of the bathroom, two older kids were giving Kevin wedgies. They weren’t even Chosen kids. They just thought it would be fun to pick on a little five year old. I, being the same age at the time, threatened to tell our teacher on them. The two had just burst out laughing, mimicking my squeaky voice and childish threat. Luckily for me, they thought I was ‘too cute’. Looking back on that moment I knew that I could just as easily have gotten a couple of wedgies too. Instead they pinched my cheeks, walked away and left us there.

From then on, Kevin decided that he needed to stick by me. Every time I told him to go away he would start thanking me all over again for that day. It didn’t matter that I told him that I hadn’t really done much. He was like a stray dog; no matter what you do, you can’t get rid of the darn thing. In the process Kevin had successfully scared off any potential friends within the first three days of school. No one would come near either of us. I had learnt to tolerate him but he was just too embarrassing some days and frustrating on others.

“Hi Danyel,” a few people waved at me as I passed them. I returned the smiles and found my next class. Weird that I was the first to reach the class and still wound up being the one to sleep through the entire two hours until the end of the day.