The Chosen- Chapter 14

::CHAPTER 14::

Richard’s POV

Tommy thought it was weird that I was friends with someone so much younger than us, but I didn’t expect him to understand.  Even I couldn’t explain it. Since I first babysat Nye, I got attached to the kid. He’d been my favorite charge. Clever, adorable, witty as hell, well behaved and seriously funny. No one in the village could resist him when he wanted to charm you. It was no wonder he was so spoilt now.

Despite all of that, Nye had never been able to keep friends for long. I suppose it was partially because of that Kevin boy. But I got the sense that it was also because he’d never been on the same mental level as the other human kids. He intimidated them sometimes. I’ve seen it myself.

I’d gone the extra mile as his babysitter. I always did with my other charges. I’d done my best to try to be a friend to him. And it was surprisingly easy too. After a while I didn’t have to think about trying to be a friend to the kid who used to sit alone on his porch. We just were.

Even with our age gap, Nye could still make me laugh harder than anyone. He would have the wildest, most ridiculous stories to tell. He had a heart that was too big for someone his age and he was the most loyal person I knew. His age stopped mattering years ago in our friendship. Especially now that his Chosen mind was nearing my own at an alarming rate. Hell he knew crap that even had me lost. Astrophysics and advanced pathology and subjects that made my head spin the second he started rambling about his readings.

No, Tommy couldn’t understand our friendship. He’d never met a young Chosen. That level of intellect and maturity on a thirteen year old wasn’t something he was used to. It wasn’t a problem for me though. I’d been around Nye for too long to think too much about it. He was one of my best friends. No ifs or buts about it.

Since I’d left Rondesdale, Nye and I did our best to stay in touch and it was working. Pretty much. We talked a couple times a week and sometimes texted each other, but it wasn’t the same and we knew it. That aside, we spent those first months apart getting used to it.

Hanging up the phone, I watched as his name disappeared from the screen.

It was kind of annoying how my old computer back home didn’t have a webcam. That was the computer Nye used now that I didn’t need it. It would have been so much easier to web chat instead of wasting so much money every day. We hated emails and online messages. It almost made the distance twice as real.

Either way, I was glad that Nye had a phone now. It was easier to get onto him that way. I couldn’t help but think that it would have been handy that night five years ago when he’d run away to go camping in the forest with his classmates.

That night had been the worst.

I had woken up in the early hours of the morning feeling a little sore from my curled up position on the bed. I had gone downstairs to get some water before I came back to my room. It was then that I noticed him missing from the bed.

Taking three stairs at a time, I had rushed back downstairs and checked every room in the house and the porch. He was nowhere to be found. I’d returned to my room worried and wondering where Nye could be.

Just as I was about to go wake my parents, I spotted a leaf of paper fluttering nearby. It was his note explaining where he’d gone.

I took a shower and put on some clothes, planning on getting him from the camping trip before anyone else noticed that he was missing. My parents and his aunt and uncle would have flipped out if they knew.