The Chosen- Chapter 20

Ironically enough, I probably would have updated this sooner if I didn't have so much Writers' Block and difficulty writing everything just right for my other book. Like it legit took less than a day to finish off from where I'd started on this one. Oops?

::CHAPTER 20::

[One Year Later]

Danyel's POV

It was going to be a couple more weeks until my birthday and then I was finally turning seventeen. Don't get me wrong, it’d been cool turning sixteen and being able to legally do the things that I already did anyway. But now it was going to be an extra year up where I was out of that rocky, barely legal age.

It had taken a while, but I had finally begun to look Chosen. I was bigger than Orion these days. He wasn't too happy about it. Probably because I kept rubbing it in his face. Come on, I think I've waited long enough to be smug about it. My height, weight and size were finally up to par and I'd been allowed to grow out my hair again. I'd missed it.

Asher wasn't too happy about letting me grow it out though. Apparently Alphas were known for having their hair shorter than most others. We'd compromised on having the sides cut low and the top longer and combed back. It was a new look for me but I think it worked. I was a changed man after all. A new look was in order.

At the moment I wasn’t wearing any ID to show it, but I was now an official Pack Soldier – uniform, daily work shifts and everything. And not to toot my own horn but I looked pretty damn good in uniform too. Even Orion, who usually avoided complimenting me on so much as my instant noodles, admitted that he was sure that I was the leading cause of wet panties and hard-ons in the Pack that first day I’d geared up.

Right now I was in casual wear after spending three hours on my laptop. Asher had put me on liaison duty today. I couldn’t exactly complain since I'd volunteered but that was before I’d realized how hard it was going to be. I got myself into it now I was stuck with the responsibility.

When on liaison duty, the officer in charge − usually the Alpha or Second in Command − would make digital contact with other Alphas and higher ups from foreign Packs. With the way the cameras could be intercepted these days, webcams were only allowed with soldiers using it in the den. Asher didn’t want civilians being spied on from outsiders so no one else had access to them.

Liaison duty demanded that I work with other Packs and it got old fast. It still surprised me that there were so many other Packs out there around the world.

When the humans first banished the Chosen to the forest, not all of them were willing to take the punishment. Many Chosen people refused to stand for the treatment they were getting. Instead of hiding out in Rondesdale with the rest of us, a lot of them chose to migrate to other parts of the world. They'd married and remarried and had Chosen and non-Chosen babies alike. They'd formed groups under the animal's demand for Pack.

The treaty hadn't made provisions for Chosen who decided to leave. That hadn't been in the agreement. The humans were pissed that so many of them had gone abroad. In the end, to pacify the human authorities, we kept in constant contact with outside Packs. They were all required to keep in touch with us and report in regularly.

As members of the original Chosen Pack, we were the strongest. We’d kept our Alpha and let the others fend for themselves. This meant that our Alphas were also the strongest of all the other Alphas in the other factions. In fact, whoever was the Alpha of our Pack held seniority over all Alphas of the other Packs. We didn't like to see it that way though. We treated them as an extended family. Their wolves were our wolves and vice versa.