The Chosen- Chapter 3

::CHAPTER 3::

Scowl? Check.

Folded arms? Check.

Glare? Check.

Complete disgust at being made to go to school? Triple check.

Richie was sitting in the car opposite mine looking just as disgusted with a scowl, folded arms and glare in place. Looks like he’s ready too. The only person in the universe who hated school as much as I did was Richard Crowley. He never bothered telling me to ‘have a good day’ or ‘have fun’ or even the clichéd ‘do your best’ that older people liked to tell kids. Why? Because long ago even before he was my age, he’d hated school about as much as I did now. We had no good words for each other except ‘survive the day.’ That pretty much summed up our main goal for the next six hours and that was us being over-achievers.

I peered out of the window at the sound of an engine starting. Their car drove off and Richie gave me a look that said ‘help me’ with his cheek smushed to the glass. Sorry buddy.  I couldn’t help him any more than I could help myself. My aunt slid into the driver’s seat and gave me my lunch kit. “I’m so happy that I didn’t have to wrestle you into the car this term,” she said and locked the doors for good measure, “Your uncle was planning to hogtie you to the roof this year.” She beamed as if it was all a joke. I wouldn’t put it past Uncle Bert. You didn’t have to wrestle me in but you sure as heck are gonna have to wrestle me out of this thing.

So it was thought, so it was done.

We were in an all out war in the school’s parking lot half an hour later as they tried to drag me out. “I told you…to let…me…bring the rope!” Uncle Bert huffed as he tugged on my legs while aunty tried to peal my fingers off the door way. He was of the Chosen. He could get me out if he wanted but not without ripping out my legs. My human bones were fragile but they were even weaker because I was still a child. “You were serious?” she asked. He didn’t respond. I took that as a yes.

With an extra hard yank, he was holding me in his arms. “Gotcha!” He threw me over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes and walked to the door while I kicked and squirmed. “Now you are going to get into that building,” he said shoving the door open, “and you’re going to have a good day, have fun and do your best. I don’t want to get any calls about you trying to run away, do you hear me? This is for your own good, trust me.” Funny how people always said ‘trust me’ right before doing something that made you not trust them.

He placed me on the floor inside the building while Aunty put the bag on my back and the lunch kit in my hands. She kissed my cheek and smoothed my hair, “Good luck, honey. Love you!” She and Uncle high tailed out of the building at a power walk. Now that they were off the property, I was the security guard’s problem now. He’d never let me past the doors and they didn’t have to worry.

“Wow. New record,” Kevin said leaning against the wall.

“Seriously? How long was it today?”

“Seventeen minutes and twelve seconds to get you from the car to the school…guessing that you didn’t fight them at home.”

“I didn’t,” I sighed, “I was going for a surprise attack. I need a better plan for tomorrow.”

Kevin and I walked through the long halls of Rondesdale C.H. School. It was a ten minute walk to get to our class. Some homicidal architect thought it was a good idea to build the sections of the school from eldest to youngest with the eldest closest to the entrance. The Lower School department was so far away from the entrance that we had to walk through the Upper School and Middle School departments to get to our classes. Which meant we had double the chances to get our butts handed to us on the way to class every day.