The Chosen- Chapter 32

::CHAPTER 32::

3rd Person POV [Orion]

When Orion stepped into class early that morning, there was hardly anyone there yet. He was about to go find a seat near the window like he usually did, but one look around the class made him reconsider. An idea was brewing in his head; one that had a smile spreading across his face.

As good a person as Orion was, he was no saint. Not by a long shot. He had a brilliant mind for facts and figures and could spot patterns and anomalies quick as a whip. If asked, no one would dismiss his intelligence. Unfortunately for some, that mind was equally capable for sneakier and more mischievous pursuits. He could act his age just as much as he could play the responsible adult role. It was a little thing that had drawn Danyel and Kenny to him in the very beginning.

At the moment, the idea was taking shape. Now that Orion was in his last year at school, he knew how things went. He knew that there was no proper seating arrangement for classes so whoever got there first, got the seat they wanted. As such, people tended to get there early so they could avoid the seats in the center rows.

The center rows were the seats where the human side of the class and the Chosen side of the class met. It was typically easier for humans to concentrate without a lot of dominance right beside them. And Chosen simply didn’t want to be bothered reigning in their animals extra tight for hours just to accommodate the person beside them.

Because of that, people chose seats that were closest to the walls on their respective sides of the class. Hardly anyone bothered to pick a center row seat willingly. Except today. Today, Orion wanted to play. It was usually his animal that liked underhanded, Chosen games but what could he say? The mood had taken him.

Orion made a B-line for the chair in the dead centre of the class, dropped his bag onto the floor and waited in his new seat. Some people gave him odd looks but no one said anything.

Time ticked on and he watched the class fill up around the edges; everyone avoiding the middle rows as expected. When it finally got to the point where people had no choice but to take seats there, two or three humans almost grabbed the one next to him. He fixed each of them with a stare befitting of his reputation and they left one after the other.

That seat was especially and specifically reserved for Kevin and only Kevin. He wasn’t putting up with this god-awful spot to sit beside anyone else.

Danyel eventually made his way into class. He was eating a hotdog with crushed nachos and what Orion was horrified to find looked like jelly beans on top. At first, Danyel was too engrossed in his breakfast-to-go and texting to notice anything out of the ordinary. When he did though, he did a double take at Orion’s seating arrangement.

“What the hell? No,” he made a face, “Why the hell?” Orion gave him a pointed look and flicked his gaze to the empty seat beside him. Danyel’s face dissolved into understanding. Amused understanding.

Danyel knew about the front porch kiss from last night, but seeing Orion's seating arrangement seemed to make him happier than even that. "Play nice, Ri," was all he said before he made his way to his window seat.

It was, for all intents and purposes, his seat. No one else sat there. It was a rule in all classes that Danyel sit closest to the wall and near a window. The teachers would accept nothing less for fear of him and his wolf disrupting the class. As such, he was the only person who could stroll in at any time and be guaranteed a good spot.

This was certainly not the case for a certain red head with a penchant for being late. Kevin was almost always left to take the last seat available; a fact Orion had picked up on a while ago. A fact that he had every intention of utilizing today.