The Chosen- Chapter 2

::CHAPTER 2::

The chirping of the birds woke me up as usual. That was the thing about living in the forest. There was never any need for alarm clocks. Rubbing my eyes, I turned to see that Richie had not gone home like he’d said he would. While waiting for me to sleep, he had fallen asleep too. Giggling quietly as he snored away, I slipped out of the small bed and went to go brush my teeth.

Showering and picking out my own clothes, I went outside for breakfast. Aunty had some bacon frying in the pan and cookies in the oven. It went without saying that the aroma in the kitchen was amazing.

Aroma. I’d learnt that word – and a bazillion others – studying the dictionary; something Richie teased me for without end. He said it was the kind of hobby people had when they wanted to get beaten up.

I sat at the table with my legs swinging below.  My bacon and cheese sandwich was clutched in my hands and my cheeks puffed out with food and peppermint tea. Every now and then I threw a glance at the oven window. The melting chocolate chips refused to be ignored.

Just as I had finished breakfast, Uncle came into the kitchen. He gave Aunty a peck on the lips before settling to his morning paper.

“Uncle?” I tugged on the hem of his shirt.

“Yes Danyel?” he peered at me over his glasses. A deep scar was set above his eye from his last Change.

“Why do you kiss Aunty on her mouth?” I asked. Packmates always did it but I didn’t know why.

His gaze grew curious and he glanced at his wife who was hiding her own smile. “I…well I suppose it’s because I love her,” he replied finally, “She’s my mate. I want to show her how much I love her so I give her a little kiss every now and then.” He chuckled at my expression and went back to the newspaper. I moved his hand and swiped the Kids’ Section before going back to my room.

Richie was still asleep so I crept over to my desk, making sure not to make the floorboards squeak. He didn’t take well to being woken up. I read the comics, did the puzzles and checked my Horoscope. The Sudoku was easy for me lately. Aunty said I was getting more intelligent by the day and I couldn’t deny that. My vocabulary was better than lots of the human kids in my class and I was the best at English and Science. I might not like school and I probably gave the most trouble but that didn’t mean I wasn’t good at it.

 I put away my crayons after coloring the picture of the roaring lion. After I ripped out the picture and named the lion, I stuck it on my wall with the dozens of others colorings.

A soft groan made me turn around. Richie was sitting up in my bed rubbing his head. “Shit, I fell asleep,” he mumbled to himself. I walked over to the bed and sat down next to him.

“Watch your mouth. Aunty would freak if she heard you.”

“Well she’s not around, is she?” he returned.

“No, but I am.”

“Are you going to tell her?” he grinned with a wicked glint in his eye, “Huh? You gonna snitch on me?”

He grabbed me and tickled my sides. I squealed in a high pitched voice. “You sounded just like a girl,” he teased letting go. I stuck out my tongue at him.

His hair was all over the place and his eyes were bleary. It was not a pretty sight. Richard Crowley was no sight to behold in the morning. He rolled off the bed and fell to the floor. Rising up slowly he yawned, smacked his lips and trudged across the hall to the bathroom. Richie was what he called an ‘afternoon person’. He said that mornings were for sleeping, drooling and snoring.