~43. Lamb to the Slaughter🔪

Balwant's last rites were performed by Tapish and Veer. They held a ceremony in the house post that. Everyone paid respects to the deceased king and it was decided that soon Veer will get coroneted as it is not good for the realm's throne to be empty.

While everyone was discussing these things, Bani stood silently in a corner and noticed how blank Veer's eyes looked. He was sad. He might not have showed great affection towards Balwant but he did love his father truly. Balwant too might have not said it but all his actions displayed how much he loved his family, specially Veer. Bani knew he did illegal things and probably deserved this. In fact, if she herself was not so caught up between punishing the real culprit, discovering her own feelings and not hurting Veer- she too would have killed the man who abducted girls and sold them, who used to kill naagins in search of her and probably was the reason her parents died. Balwant did everything wrong under the sun and got away with it for a long time. He did a lot of crimes worthy of a death penalty.

Bani would be lying if she said that she felt for Balwant but she did feel for her husband. She hated to see him in pain. As the men left, Bani went to sit near Veer.

B: Veeranshu?

Bani said softly. Veer looked up and gave her a small smile.

B: Tum kuch khaoge? Subah se kuch nahi khaya hai tumne?

V: Mn nahi hai Bani..

B: Thoda sa? Please.

Bani went and bought him a plate. Veer refused but Bani took a morsel and offered it to him. She made sure he ate something. Veer was moved by her care.

B: How are you feeling Veeranshu?

This was the first time in hours that someone had asked him this. The only people who showed him empathy were Tapish and Bani in the morning and now again, it was his gharwali showing him support in the tiniest of ways.

V: I don't know how I feel. It is a very hollow feeling but I cannot word it Bani..

Bani smiled sadly and took his hand in hers. She guided him towards their room and took off his jacket. She made him lie down and got next to him. Cuddling into his side, she spoke softly.

B: Sleep?

Veer's eyes were tired but his heart was restless. Somehow Bani's warmth calmed him enough to sleep. She ran her fingers through his hair and massaged his scalp while he drifted away to the land of dreams in her arms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few days had gone by. Investigators were trying but there was no proof of what had truly happened. The camera system of Singhania's was crashed by Shukla and had not been repaired when the incident happened. Moreover, due to the secretiveness of business, Balwant had no cameras inside the study.

While the investigators and family ran around to catch Balwant's killer, Bani started to get more and more protective of Veer. Initially no one noticed but slowly everyone in the family started to see how Bani had practically attached herself to Veer's side. To add to her worries, she kept seeing bad things in her dreams. She was always tensed for Veer's safety now. Veer was moved by seeing so much care from his gharwali. Even the family was really happy for him.

V: Sweeeetheart!!!!!!!!!

Bani was in the kitchen and rushed to the hall.

B: Kya hua Veeranshu? You okay??

V: Haan Gharwali!! Tum ye meri itni chinta krti ho na toh accha toh bohot lgta but please ab thoda chill kro, cheel ki biwi ko...itni tension logi to umra se pehle buddhi ho jaogi aur phir mujhe 'kya karu raam mujhe Buddha mil gaya' ka male version likhna padega..