the champions

Elsa pov

It had been two weeks since we had to duel in dada. I avoid Jack whenever possible, but when I'm around him, he's being nice. I think he's up to something.

When I got up the next day,  I remembered that today the other schools were coming, and that we were going to see who the goblet of fire chose for the tournament. 

I quickly changed and ate my breakfast. When I got back, Flitwick, ravenclaws head of house, was explaining to some first years what was going on.  I poked my head in my dorm.

"Punzie, you ready? Flitwicks starting to round us up."

"Aaaanndddddd, done!"

Punzie came walking with a spring in her step from the dorm.

"Let's go," she said with a smile. I grinned to, and followed suit. We help Flitwick with some younger students and made our way downstairs. We were the first ones there, followed by hufflepuff,  then Gryffindor,  and last slytherin.  We all just stood there, waiting. Then a large carriage seemed to come out of the sky. It got nearer and nearer until it landed on the turf outside the main entrance to Hogwarts.  A giantess came out and began speaking with Dumbledore. The girls that came out were speaking in rapid french. There were two blonds, one with long hair, the other with an updo, and a black haired girl with very pale skin. They were huddled close together.  I caught their names as aurora, cinderella, and snow white. Another girl came out, looking significantly like dracula, talking with some other girls that had blonde hair too, only darker than mine. Then someone yelled, "There's a boat coming up out of the lake!"

We all turned our heads to see the large ship rising from the lake.

Some boys came off the boat and headed our way. One had auburn hair with long sideburns and hazel eyes.  Another had what looked almost blue hair that was kind of spiky. The third had dark brown hair in a ponytail and bright blue eyes.

"I would like to formally introduce myself and my friends to you fine young ladies," the auburn one said with a bow.  He brought my knuckles to his lips.

"I am Hans Westergaurd, and this is Hades Underworld, and Gaston LeGume. And you are?"

I bushed. "I am Elsa Winters,  and this is Rapunzel Corona."

We smiled and started to talk with the boys. I heard Flitwick calling, so we left.

"I think that hans boy fancies you," Punzie said in a singsong voice.

I blushed. "He is pretty good looking."

We giggled all the way back to out dorms. In the common room we talked all about those super hot guys from Durmstrang.

A few hours later,  we went down to dinner. I saw hans and waved. He smiled and waved back. I turned and noticed Jack coming towards me. I gulped and looked away, try on to find a place to sit so I wouldn't have to talk to him. But I was too late.

"Hey, elsa."

"What do you want," I asked, irritated.

"Can we talk? Please?"

"Isn't that what we're doing now," I asked coolly.

"I mean in private," he said, obviously exasperated.

"Make it quick."

We went out to that hall. He turned to face me an took a deep breath. I waited, showing annoyance.

"I saw you talking to hans earlier. Be careful around him.  I've heard that he is a cheating player." Jack looked me straight in the eyes, his expression showing complete seriousness.

"Oh, I get it. You want me to stay away from him because of a rumor? The way you described hans sounds like you describing perfectly yourself.  I don't need help choosing who I date, if at all. And it's none of your business," I retorted heatedly. Jack looked a little taken aback and hurt by what I said. Serves him right.

"I- I just- I just thought maybe you'd- I mean I wondered if I told you, then maybe you'd start, er, I mean, think about maybe..." he let the sentence trail off.

"Spit it out Frost. I am very limited on patience right now."

"I really like you Elsa. That's why I'm warning you.  So I can keep you safe." He looked away. "I don't want you to get hurt."

"Hmmph. If you 'really liked me,' then why have you always been a jerk to me and my friends. Why now? Are you going delusional or something?"

He looked up fom the spot on the floor that he had been so intently studying.

"I'm not delusional. And I'm sorry for being so rude. I just, well, haven't been doing so well in dada, and you've always done so well, and your really nice to everyone,  and, well I was wanting to know if you could tutor me. My parents aren't that happy about my grades for that class."

I just looked at him. Then I snorted,  and started laughing dryly.

"Ha! You really think I'm going to fall for that? I'm not as stupid as you might think I am."

"I don't think your stup-"

"You are trying to play me. This is all a made up act to get me to tell you how I did the ice spell. And I've told you before, IT'S THE SAME ONE WE'VE BEEN DOING SINCE WHO KNOWS WHEN."

"How did you do it without saying anything though?"

"Wow. You are sad. Ever heard  of nonverbal spells? Of course you haven't. That's a 6th year skill. Anyway,  it's self explanatory: a spell you say without actually saying it. Now, if you'll excuse me, I would like to get some dinner before midnight."

I turned on my heel and walked off, leaving Jack standing there all by his lonesome.

Jack pov

Dang she's fiesty. And apparently smarter than I thought. I need a different approach. Wait, there's a ball on Christmas for 4th years and older. I'll just ask her to that. I walk back in and sit next to eugene and Aladdin.

"And?" They look at me expectantly.

"Tougher to crack than I thoght, but manageable."

They nodded and resumed their dinner without another word.

Dumbledore stood up and walked to the center front of the hall.

"Students, today we shall find our champions.  The goblet of fire is ready and it will present us with our champions.  Take note that there will only be three names drawn; one from each school."

There was a silence over the entire hall. The goblet glowed red, then a piece of paper flew out. Dumbledore caught it, reading,

"From Durmstrang we have Hans Westergaurd!"

There was a lot of cheering from behind. I looked over at Elsa to see her enthusiastically clapping.  Hans waved and winked at her. Ohhh, that complicates things. Hans walked up front and stood by Dumbledore.

Another paper shot out of the goblet. Dumbledore read it.

"From Beuxbatons,  we have Aurora Rose!"

A blonde with curls walked up, very poised and regal.

Once again a paper was spit out.

"Last but not least,  the Hogwarts champion is John Smith!"

A boy with blonde hair stood up from Gryffindor and walked up to the front.

"Your champions for the Triwizard Tournament!"

There was a roar of applause and cheering from the crowd. Then the goblet turned red again. the crowd went silent, with whispering going throughout the hall. It spit out a piece of paper.  Dumbledore caught it. He looked at the piece of paper. With a expressionless look at the crowd he read the name, filling the silence in the crowd.

"Jack Frost."