dueling partners

Jack pov

Might I ask who the heck Elsa Winters is? Hmm, oh. Wait. I DO know! Ugh, I'm paired with that scared little bookworm girl with the gloves. I let out an internal snort of disgust. We get up and face each other. Her expression is unreadable.

"Good luck, and you're going to need it," I say with my usual cocky smirk. She gives me a look of pure despising. We bow just ever so slightly. I was about to take a step forward after straightening,but fell hard on the ground. I looked at my feet, only to find them frozen to the ground. I know Elsa said nothing, so I don't have any idea about why my feet are frozen. I've tried, but I can't freeze myself. What the heck is going on? I tried to pick myself up, but failed miserably. After about two minutes of trying to get up, I did. I tried to use a spell to melt the ice on my feet, but nothing happened. I look back to see Elsa standing there, arms folded. Gosh, why does she have to be so unreadable?

Now upright again I get ready to cast a limb locking spell, but Elsa quickly created a jinx shield. It was so fast I was unprepared and lost my balance. I saw Elsa wave her wand and mutter something to herself. The ice on my feet instantly disappeared, but as I was already off balance, that only made it worse by knocking my entirely off my feet. I heard the one defense that I absolutely didn't want to hear,

"Expelliarmus!"

My wand flew out of my hand instantly. Elsa caught it and smirked at me.

"Shouldn't have given away all your luck, huh, Frost?"

I groaned. I got beat for the first time ever in a duel, and by a girl! I'm never going to live this down. I slowly pushed myself up on my arms and sat up.

"What kind of ice spell was that?" I asked quietly. She looked really confused with that question.

"What do you mean? Same ice spell we've known for, like, ever."

"But you didn't say anything. There was no actual spell incantation said," I asked again, desperately trying to get the trick out of her.

"I told you. And besides, why do you care? If you really want to know, go READ the textbook for once," she said with a very icy and sarcastic tone.

"Fine, don't tell me," I said, getting up. "Just know I will win next time."

She just turned away and went to talk to Punzie. Ugh, now it's killing me not knowing. Maybe it has something to do with wearing the gloves.