Chapter Four

*Skipping more time. The day before high school graduation*

Rebecca went to Iron Heights to visit her father. She was rather upset that her dad couldn't make her graduation. He had missed so much already; recitals, soccer games, awards for science fair and things like that.

She sits down in front of the the glass separating her from her father. She picks up the phone, with a sad smile. "Hey dad." She says softly.

"Hey honey." He smiles at her.

"So I'm graduating tomorrow. Valedictorian." Rebecca says kind of excitedly.

"Oh my god, that's great Becca!" He exclaims.
She looks down.

"I really wish you could be there." She says quietly, tears coming to her eyes.

"I know. But you know I can't and I'm sorry." Henry said.

"This is not your fault dad. Don't say your sorry." Rebecca replies. She understood the situation. She was old enough now.

"Hey. Look at me." He said. She looks up at him gingerly. "You are going to go tomorrow and give your big speech and everything and your not going to think about me or worry about me." He said, this time looking down instead of at her.

"I love you daddy." She says softly in reply, a tear running down her face.

"Love Ya too." He says.

She hangs up the phone and stands up. She walks out of the prison, tears running down her face. Her conversations with her father have been like this for a while, but yet she still cried over it. Over everything.

*the next day. Graduation day*

Rebecca slipped into a blue, simple yet elegant, dress and put on her robes over the dress with a smile. Barry had come from college to come to her graduation, so did Iris, Joe took the day off from work to come also.

She takes a deep breathe, she was nervous her speech wasn't good and that she would forget what she was gonna say. Rebecca shakes out her fears, literally shakes her neck, arms, and legs while taking deep breathes. She comes down stairs. "Oh my god I'm so nervous." She mumbles.

"You'll be fine Becca." Barry says reassuringly. He fixes the tie on his suit and smiles at his little sister.

She nods "I'll meet you guys there." She says getting into her car. She drives to the high school, her favorite song playing on the radio.

The time now has come for her to graduate, and give her speech. "Welcome valedictorian Rebecca Allen." The principal says. She walks up on to the stage behind the podium.

She clears her throat. "Hello peers, teachers, parents, family, and friends." She starts. "Today we are here to celebrate the start of a new beginning, the last step in completing our education, before going our separate ways."
Rebecca says.

"Situations doe not have to be long to be memorable. I have experienced so much at this school. I have made friendships that will last a life time, I have met teachers that have made me look at life a different way. But what this school has taught me, the lesson I most treasure, is it taught me how to be a woman. Not a girl, a self sustaining woman. It taught me to over come adversity and come out stronger. We often on graduation day, look outside for heroes, only to realize they are right here among us." Rebecca says.

"When you leave here today, celebrate what you have accomplished, but look forward with an eye toward how you, too, can be an inspiration for others.Thank you." She nods and everyone claps and cheers.

"Thank you Ms. Allen." She smiled to herself as she walked off the stage. The Graduation ceremony was soon over. She ran over and hug Barry and Joe and Iris.

"That was an amazing speech Rebecca!" Joe smiled.

"Thank you." And with that they went home to celebrate with cake and her first glass of wine.