𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗘𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁

ೃ࿔*:・✸⋆➶ ✧

ೃ࿔*:・✸⋆➶ ✧

        A while had past, no bizarre events had occurred which gave Anya hope that maybe they would survive this journey. Maybe there was a chance they'd make it to through the Fold and live to tell the tale. It seemed she was too hopeful for her expectations as a loud clanging noise echoed through the train. The type of noise that foreshadows ones death, a warning to turn back and leave. Obviously that wasn't an option for them and they just had to fearfully look at one another, wondering what lurked outside those secure walls.

      "What was that?" Amya and Jesper asked simultaneously, looking at the Conductor for answers that they expected he wouldn't be giving them.

       "I've erected a system of timers along the line." The Conductor explained to them, not easing their nerves. "Bits of metal hung on poles to keep me apprised of our pace."

        "How did you know where to put the poles?" Kaz questioned him, squinting slightly at the Conductor as if he was trying to figure him out.

       "Physics and engineering account for most of my success." He replied, although there was an odd edge to his voice that left more unanswered questions.

       "And the rest?" Inej asked while beside her, Anya booped Jesper's nose and quickly turned her head pretending to be intrigued in the conversation happening while Jesper gave her a suspicious look.

       "What we might call divine intervention. What others might call luck. And after all, the Fold is thick with volcra, and the tracks are not complete." He told them, capturing the attention of the two troublemaking Crows. Their jaw drops as they whipped their gazes over to the man, incredulous expressions painting their faces. "Coal, please."

       "I'm sorry. Did you say the tracks weren't complete?" Jesper asked in disbelief, ignoring the man's request for more coal.

       "I said they aren't complete." He corrected and Anya mocked his words, rolling her eyes as she tried to mask her fear about their possible fatal end.

      "That's literally the same thing." Anya groaned as she moved slightly, her legs going numb from how long they'd been squished there.

      "Ah, ah, ah. No moving." He scolded her, a harsh glare sent her way as she frowned and placed her back against the wall again, continuing to glare at the Conductor. "We're a tad late. More coal."

       "Back to the real issue." Anya commented, diverting the attention back to the prior subject.

       "We're on tracks that don't connect to other tracks?" Jesper finished her comment from before, his voice laced with irritation.