Twenty

As suspected, Haley is pregnant.

She has no idea how she's going to tell Morgan but she knows he's going to be beyond the moon excited about being a dad.

Morgan's currently playing a couple rounds of golf with Michael at the Troubadour in Nashville while Caleigh and Haley are sight seeing the city. The soon-to-be mom gets the bright idea to surprise them at the golf course.

Haley and Caleigh are sitting on the tailgate of Michael's truck with the pee stick and sonogram clenched in her clammy hand.

"There they are." Caleigh mumbles before hopping off the tailgate. "Hey boys!" She greets, waving her manicured hand toward them.

"Hey!" Morgan grins at his wife, wrapping her in a tight hug. "Whatcha got there?" He points to the items in her hand. She smiles as she hands them over, that pretty grin only widening at the look she's given. "I'm gonna be a dad?" He whispers in slight shock. "Are you serious?"

"Yep."

"I'm gonna be a dad!" He shouts, laughing loudly as he spins her in another tight hug. "Holy shit, Hales!"

Haley laughs, pressing her forehead against Morgan's shoulder. "I've got an appointment next week to see what it is."

"Oh my god. Can I go with? Wait no, I don't want to know-"

"Dude." Michael laughs, his arm around Caleigh's shoulders. "We're gonna get going."

"Yeah, us too." Haley says, smiling at the two.

"See y'all later!" Caleigh shouts, following Michael back to his Ford.

***

It's a relatively quiet drive to the doctors aside from the old country music fading in and out on the radio and the occasional soft squeals from Morgan.

"What do you think it is?" He asks, taking the exit off the highway.

"I hope it's a boy." She says, subconsciously running her hand over her slightly swollen belly. "What about you?"

"I hope it's a girl. I feel like I'd be a kick ass girl dad." He smiles over at her. "You're gonna be a good momma regardless of what we have."

"Pfft."

"I mean, look at your family." He says as he looks out the drivers side window before turning right at red light. "Your momma is such a great woman and your dad-" She sniffles at the mention of Clay.

It's been a year, maybe longer since Clay left them and it still hurts every day.

"Hey." Morgan whispers, reaching over to pats her knee. "He'd be head over heels that his little girl's having a kid."

"Stop." She whispers, looking over at him with tearful eyes. "Fuck, I still miss him."

Morgan says nothing as he pats her knee again, giving it a gentle squeeze before turning his attention back to the road.

The young couple turns into the doctor's office and Haley takes in a shaky breath. "Man, I don't think I've felt this nervous in a long time. My heart feels like it's gonna fall outta my ass."

Morgan laughs and slides out the drivers side then rushes to her side to guide her out of the truck. "We should just go home. We can guess what it is-"

"Hales," Morgan shakes his head as he pulls the door open. "It'll be fine."

"I dunno, somethin' feels weird-"

"Good thing we're at the doctors." He says then nudges her to sit in a chair so he can sign her in.

Haley anxiously bounces her knee, her sweaty grip around Morgan's hand as he gently brushes his thumb across her knuckles.