Seven

Mack Farms Homestead

Lynchburg, Tennessee; home of Jack Daniels, one traffic light, and the 3,876 acre Mack Farm.

Morgan takes in a shaky breath as Haley turns down a long dirt driveway. "Wow." He mumbles, taking in all the land. "Big farm."

"Biggest in the state." She admits, backing into a spot across from the huge white farm house. "Ready?"

"Yeah." He says nervously, unbuckling the lap seatbelt before pushing the door open. "It's beautiful."

"My daddy'll give you a tour 'round the farm later, if you're so inclined." She says with a little bit of extra twang, hopping out of her car then she heads toward the house.

"Should we-"

"We'll get them bags later!" She shouts, grabbing his hand. "C'mon!"

His heart melts at how excited she is to be back home. He's never really been on a farm before. Sure, he's from the south, a good ol southern boy, but he's never been on a farm, and never worked on a farm but he already loves it, just from how happy his girl is.

"Momma!" Haley shouts, kicking her dust covered boots off on the porch, motioning to Morgan to follow.

"Haley Mae!" An older woman's voice shouts from the heart of the house; the kitchen. He watches his girlfriend wrap a shorter woman in a tight hug, small chuckling emitting from their lips. "Baby, it's been so long since I've seen you! My, you've grown so much."

"Oh, momma, this is Morgan. Morgan, this is my momma, Louisa May."

"Nice to meet you, ma'am." He says politely with that handsome smile of his, shaking her hand.

"Oh my." She blushes, sharing a look with her daughter. "Likewise, baby."

Morgan stands awkwardly in the hallway as the two women catch up after not seeing each other in years. "Where's everyone else?"

"Your daddy's out on the tractor and your brothers'll be home in a coupla hours for supper." Louisa May says, handing the guest a glass of cold sweet iced tea. "But your daddy should be done soon."

"Okay, c'mon, I'll show you 'round the house." She takes Morgan's hand and gives him a tour of the old farmhouse. "My granddaddy's daddy built this house way back when."

"Really?"

"Yep, its goin' to one of us when it's time, fingers crossed that I get it." She smiles. "But, Sam'll probably get it since he's the oldest."

"But you're the baby." Morgan says making her roll her big, pretty, blue eyes.

"I'm also my daddy's favorite." She smiles, leading him up the steps. "This was my room." She says, opening the door. "Haven't been in here for a couple years."

"It's totally not what I's expectin'." Morgan says, looking at the various posters on the wall. "That movie has the best soundtrack I've ever heard." He points at the O Brother Where Art Thou poster. "That's probably my favorite movie- has a kickass soundtrack, folk and bluegrass."

"Oh, I like Quentin Tarantino the best but the Coen Brothers are a close second." She says, smiling at an old picture of her and her brothers when they were littler.

Morgan sits himself on her bed, jumping when the floor groans under his weight. "Guess no sex for us in here, huh?"

"Morgan!" She scolds quietly. "Momma won't let us share a bed, anyways."

"Damn." He sighs, leaning back on the heels of his hands. "I was kinda hopin'-"

"I don't think I said no." His face lights up. "You're silly." She leans down and kisses him. When she leans back, he pulls her back down, his hand on the back of her neck as the other pulls her to sit on his lap, the two breaking apart to laugh as the floor creaks beneath them.