Chapter 23

"Home sweet home," Hazel comments.

"Yep," Cha-Cha responds.

"Hey, uh... You hungry?"

"I could eat."

"Why don't you relax?" Hazel asks. "I'll bring us some, uh, take out. That, uh, Chinese place, Samurai Gardens. Kung Pao chicken, extra spicy."

"Okay, sounds great. Thanks."

"Great. Back in a jiff. Uh, keys" He says, leaving the room.

Timeskip

"Everything all right, Master Luther?" Pogo asks Luther, who was looking through Reginald's office.

"Where are they?" Luther asks. "The boxes, the reports, the samples? All the correspondence I sent down from the moon?"

"I, uh... I'm not sure. Your father was a very private person," Pogo answers.

"Stop it, Pogo!" The man yells. "You know everything our father did."

Pogo wordlessly points at the carpet with his walking stick.

"What?" Luther asks, kicking away the rug.

He hears the creak and removes the chunk of wood.

"Clever old man," He mutters.

He looks through the packages.

"He never even looked at them," Luther tells himself. "Why not? Why not?"

"Your father was many things," Pogo says. "Forthright was not one of them. After your accident, he wanted to give you purpose, Master Luther. He felt that this was the only way."

"What? Shanghai-ing me on the Moon for four years? I wasn't a good enough Number One? That's what it was? I couldn't cut it? So he sent me away?"

"No, no. That's not..."

"Pogo, please leave me alone..."

"Master-"

"Now, please! Get out!"

Timeskip

"I hate this room," Diego says, walking around Klaus in circles to tie him up.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah," Klaus responds. "Oh, it got me high enough," Klaus says. "I picked it clean of anything of value after Daddy kicked the bucket. That's it, tighter and higher." "Ooh. Ouf! Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah."

"Fine," Diego says, tugging on the rope.

"Ooh! Aah! Aah!"

"If I see a boner, I'm out," Diego says. "End of the world and you wanna get sober all of a sudden. Don't get me wrong, man. Good by you. But I'd think you'd wanna pop every pill on the planet."

"Oh, the thought did cross my mind, believe me," Klaus chuckles. "But... there's something I need to do, and the whole pesky thing doesn't seem to work unless I'm sober."

"Is this about conjuring the one you lost? Diego asks. "What was her name?"

"His name was Dave," Klaus responds. "We soldiered together in the A Shau Valley... in the Mountain of the Crouching Beast."

"Well, Dave must have been a very special person... to put up with your weird-ass shit."

"Yeah, yeah, he was," Klaus says. "He was kind, and strong, and vulnerable, and... beautiful. Beautiful. And I was... foolish enough to follow him all the way to the front line."

"You fought in the shit?"

"Oh yeah, baby."

"How'd they let you do that?"