Chapter 15

"Number Five, where is he?" Cha-Cha asks as she chokes Klaus.

"Don't... stop... I'm almost there," Klaus says, the torture having quite the opposite effect on him.

"Is that a…?"

"Yep," Hazel replies.

"Oh! Ah, there's nothing like a little… stranglin' to get the blood flowin', am I right?" Klaus laughs.

"What is so funny, you asshole?" Hazel asks, slapping the man.

"Ow! Well, for one… you spent the last ten hours… beating me senseless, and… you've learnt absolutely nothing. I mean, nobody tells me shit. The truth is, I'm the one person in that house nobody will even notice is gone. You assholes kidnapped the wrong guy!" He says before getting a slap again. "Ow! I'm sorry, okay?"

"Please make him stop talking."

"Let's waterboard him," Cha-Cha says.

They cover his face with a towel before pouring a bucket of water on his head.

"Ah! Oh, I needed that," Klaus says.

"Come on!"

"I was… so parched. Thank you. Thank you."

"Oh, god, this is brutal," Hazel says as he and Cha-Cha retreat to the bathroom, taking off their masks. "What the hell is wrong with that guy?"

"He's a freak like his brother," Cha-Cha responds.

"Everyone else in that house. Just another example of management stickin' it to the working man."

"Come on, not this again."

"They should've warned as that this was an atypical assignment. Hello? Hazard pay?"

"Come on. We do the job and we move to the next. Just like we always do," Cha-Cha says. "Remember Trinidad? We worked that guy solid for what? Two days, two nights?"

"How could I forget Trinidad?"

"Attaboy. Let's go," She says before putting on her mask.

"All right!" Hazel says, putting on his mask. "Come on, Hazel!"

Timeskip

"What the hell?" Eudora asks as she sees Diego sleeping on her doorstep. "Who'd you piss off this time?"

"I gave it as good as I got," Diego says.

"You didn't answer my question."

"Oh, yes. How's all that paperwork coming along?"

"It's real page-turner. I've got two guys in children's masks, rare bullet casings, a random fingerprint from a 1930s cold case, and… I just learned that the tow truck driver from the donut didn't have any family."

"The boy and girl."

"Not his, apparently. Kids' our only possible witnesses and they're total mysteries," She says. "Okay, what's going on?"

"What?"

"You could have called me for an update. So why are you really here?"

"Nothin', I just, uh… My mom. She died last night."

"Shit, Diego. I'm so sorry. I remember how close you were. Is there anything I can…"

"I just… I don't… I don't know how to…"

"Is that what this is about? Hey. Hey. Tell me what's going on. Who did this?"

"Let's just say I didn't get a good look at their faces."