Chapter 1

Rewritten

On the twelfth hour of the first day of October 1989, 43 women around the world gave birth. This was unusual only in the fact that none of these women had been pregnant when the day first began. Sir Reginald Hargreeves, eccentric billionaire and adventurer, resolved to locate and adopt as many of the children as possible.

He got eight of them.

"We're going now live to a breaking story. Moments ago, police reported the death of the most eccentric and reclusive billionaire."

Y/n breathed out a sigh of... relief? She wasn't sure. A war was going on in her head. Her father, the one who gave her her life. The one who gave her food, raised her and gave her a roof over her head was dead. Yet, she thought a monster was gone from the world. She doesn't even have enough fingers and toes to count the amount of mental scars the billionaire had left on her since childhood.

She looked down as raindrops crashed down onto the concrete pavements outside. As they met the harsh material, their molecules divided before joining the other water molecules in puddles. This caused ripples. The ripples were much like reality. The smallest actions could cause the biggest differences—the butterfly effect, as some would call it.

These changes would then take place over time to change the future.

Time... something that Y/n hated so much. The more time passed, the longer Five had been gone. It was a terrible feeling. Not being able to hold him and not being able to have him hold her. No one to enjoy peanut butter and marshmallow sandwiches with a cup of hot chocolate on a nice frosty winter day. No one to love.

And all Y/n could do was blame Reginald Hargreeves, her adoptive father.

Reginald was a complicated man. Some, like Luther, felt very close to him. People like Luther thought of him as a leader of sorts, willing to do his bidding at the snap of his finger. The people like him seemed to have placed him on a pedestal like some higher power similar to God. Others, like Diego, hated him. They called him a monster who deserved to die. They saw him as someone with no human emotions, someone incapable of love. Cold like ice.

He was strict and always focused on discipline. There was no perfect memory. Every memory that Y/n had of her father was messed up. Training, eating, even living with her father was messed up. The amount of times that he had run experiments on Y/n like she was some kind of lab hamster was innumerable.

Personally, Y/n thought of him as someone who wasn't human. Sure, he had flesh, bones, skin and facial features like any human. But it got questionable when you realized what he did to the children he adopted, or rather, bought. You begin to wonder if this man is truly a human. Because, if he was, he would've never treated his children the way he did. All he did to them was scar them for life. Never to be removed, never to be worsened, but always be there to remind them of a childhood that they'd rather forget.

The mental or emotional scars, whatever you wish to call them, that she had gotten from the experiments was like a map of sorts. A map that showed Y/n where she had been in life. She had spent years trying to heal to no avail as the nightmares scarred her night after night. Only after she had sought professional help had she finally properly healed.

Luther, her leader, in a way. He was Number One, which made him obsessed with being the best. He was the one with super strength. Luther was the strongest physically. Mentally, he was weak. Failure was like a knife to him. It would stab and badly damage him. His body would feel like it was burning and on fire. Most failures ended with him locking himself in his room, screaming and sometimes punching the wall.

Diego, her favourite older brother. He could control and bend air to his will. Being Number Two, he always wanted to be the best. He would endlessly pick fights with Luther as their rivalry grew and bubbled more day by day. Sometimes, the tension between the two boys would be so strong that you would feel you could smell it—it was an unpleasant smell, in case you were curious.