Chapter 12

"Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit," Vanya swears as she was late to her practice.

"Shit," She says again, sitting in her chair as the violin case clattering causes everyone to stop playing and to look at her. "Um… I'm so sorry I'm late."

"I hadn't noticed," The teacher admits, clearing his throat.

He taps the baton lightly,

"From the top," He instructs before music starts again.

Timeskip

"Play it again," Luther sighs.

"We've watched it over and over, Luther," Allison says. "It's the same every time."

"Er… What is she doing?" Luther stammers. "The tea, did she poison him?"

On the screen was a recording of their mother giving their father a cup of tea before he convulses.

"Uh…" Allison sighs. "I don't know."

"Where did you find this?"

"I was looking at old footage of us as kids, and I saw the tape just sitting there."

"Yeah, Dad must have started using the security system again. He was getting more and more paranoid. He thought people were out to get him. Well… I guess maybe he was right."

"But Mom?" Allison questions. "I mean, she's not capable of… Is she?"

Timeskip

The two grown-ups sit at the table as they watched their mother cook breakfast for them. She hummed ever so softly as she cooked sunny-side up eggs. The pan sizzled as the two siblings looked at each other.

"Mom?" Luther asks. "We need to ask you some questions about the night Dad died. Do you remember anything?"

"Of course," Their mother says. "Sunset, 7:33 p. m. Moon was waxing crescent, dinner was Cornish hen, wild rice, and carrots."

"No. No, uh… later that night. In his bedroom. Did you go and see him?"

Their mother chuckles. "I don't recall," She answers before humming again.

"Were you ever… I don't know, angry with Dad?" Allison asks.

"Your father was a good man," She replies, spatula scrapping against the pan. "A kind man. He was very good to me."

"Yes, but after we all left, it must have been difficult."

"Oh, there were days," Their mother admits. "You kids kept me oh so busy, and then…" She says before cutting herself off.

"What?" Luther asks.

"What were you gonna say?" Allison asks.

"Eggs are ready!" She says. "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day," She says, placing the plates on the table. "Now, eat up. Both of you."
Timeskip

"Do you seriously still not understand the chain of custody?" Eudora asks, seeing Diego at another crime scene that Five and Y/n had left. "If you touch it, I can't use it."

"Let me save you some time running ballistics," Diego says. "These nine-millimeters haven't been manufactured since 19…"

"1963. Odd, I know," Eudora says. Matching cases were found at a murder scene last night. Ishmael's Towing."

"The driver?"

"Found him hanging from the ceiling. Looks like he must have known something after all."