Chapter 18

"It's not here," Cha-Cha says as they search the motel's laundry room for their briefcase.

"Maybe the junkie took it," Hazel says.

"No shit. Any other brilliant insights you wanna throw at me?"

"Yeah, I got a couple," Hazel says before whooshing interrupts them. "'Violation code 6870-4A, unauthorized round-trip travel to 1968. Explanation required,'" Hazel reads off their letter.

"Shit, the junkie. What the hell does he think this is? A travel agency?" Cha-Cha asks. "Damn it, Hazel."

"I know," The man says. "If we don't get that case back soon, we're screwed."

"We wouldn't be if you stuck to protocol and carried the briefcase with you."

"Well, maybe if you carried it once in a while, we wouldn't have this problem to begin with! My physical therapist isn't even covered by insurance. You don't hear me complaining!"

"Oh, so this is you suffering in silence."

"Can we not do this now?" Hazel asks.

"Fine. We need to get back to that family compound and find that junkie," Cha-Cha says.

"Are you serious?" Hazel asks. "We barely got out alive last time."

"We can't go back until we know what we're dealing with," Cha-Cha says. "I'll do some digging on the family while you look for that junkie. Let's get our briefcase."

"Fine."

Timeskip

Allison walks up to her sister's door and knocks.

"Hey," Vanya says, letting her in.

"Morning," Allison greets. "Hey, nice scarf. Are you wearing makeup?"

"Just a little," Vanya replies before sighing. "Damn."

"What's wrong?"

Vanya sighs once more. "I ran out of my meds yesterday. I usually keep my refill in my butter container, but all I seem to have is butter, so..."

"Well, I brought you a surprise," Allison says, holding up a small paper bag holding a pastry. "Bomboloni, from Petrola's bakery. Just like when we were kids."

"That is so sweet, but... I'm gonna save it for later cause I'm meeting Leonard for breakfast."

"Flowers yesterday, brunch this morning. You're really jumping in with both feet."

Vanya scoffs at her sister's words. "What's wrong with that?"

"Well, how well do you know him?"

"Well, enough to get breakfast, if that's what you're asking."

"It's just, after yesterday, I don't... I have a bad feeling."

"Allison. I haven't seen in 12 years, and all of a sudden, you're giving me dating advice?"

"I'm still your sister," Allison defends. "And I am concerned about you... and him."

"What are you concerned about?"

"Leonard seems perfectly charming, perfectly thoughtful. Perfect, really. But I've been around long enough to know that when something seems too perfect, it's usually anything but."

"Like a woman who's based her whole life on rumors. Some people actually mean what they say," Vanya says before walking out.

"Uh... Vanya!"

Timeskip

"Hey," Vanya says, entering the cafe that Leonard told her to meet him at. "Whew," She says before realizing that he was staring at her. "What?" She chuckles.