CHAPTER 17

THALIA'S POV

"Wait!" I looked around. "Where's Bofur?" Thorin grabbed my shoulders and sat me down in the boat. "If he's not here, then we leave without him."

Thorin wasn't wasting anytime, and didn't want any weak links.

That included his nephew, Kili.

Kili seemed on the verge of tears. I hopped off the boat and supported Kili's body. Oin and Fili decided to stay and care for him."Then I will stay with him, too. I will try to care for him the best I can." But Kili shook his head and refused.

He cupped my face with one hand; his breathing was heavy. "No, you should go see Erebor. Go see it's beauty." I gazed into his sad eyes and saw tears forming. "Kili..." I started, but Kili cut me off with a sudden kiss.

What...my mind went blank. After Kili released the kiss, he and the two other dwarves disappeared in the cheering crowd. I sat back down next to Bilbo, still shocked.

Bilbo cleared his throat, and I turned to face him. "First kiss?" he asked. I gave him a look, and he avoided eye contact and cleared his throat again. I rolled my eyes at his arrogance.

We sailed across the lake and arrived on the shore of the Lonely Mountain. "Scatter. Find a form of elevation to the hidden door." We searched everywhere, and finally, with Bilbo's good eyesight, we found it.

There we stood, in front of a flat surface across the mountain side. Thorin had a huge smile on his face. He raised the key and faced the company. "And all those who doubted us...Rule This Day!" We all cheered.

Dwalin stepped forward. "Alright, we have a key. Which means, somewhere, there is a keyhole." He began to feel around the surface. The sun was setting quickly and Thorin began to panic.

"Break it down!" he yelled. All the dwarves began smashing their new weapons against the hard stone, not even making a dent. The sun disappeared behind the mountain.

"It's over," Balin said. Everyone, except me and Bilbo, began to leave with sorrowful faces. Thorin stared at the wall, his eyes on the verge of tears.

"Thorin," I said, walking towards him. I touched his arm, and was surprised to feel him shaking. He let the key fall out of his hand. Then, without a word, he turned and began following the others, placing a hand on my head and shoving the map on Bilbo's chest.

"We can't give up now!" Bilbo yelled to the dwarves. I sunk to my knees and hung my head. No, it can't be over, can it? I shook my head and quickly got to my feet.

"Give me that map." I wrenched it out of Bilbo's hands. I read the elvish language embedded on the parchment. "Stand in the face of the door. When the thresh knocks, and the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the keyhole." Bilbo placed a hand on my shoulder.

"I don't get it!" I screamed, and threw the map down in frustration. Suddenly, I found myself in Bilbo's arms. "Just calm down." he whispered. I gazed up to the dark sky. Then, I saw it.

I released myself from Bilbo's hold and studied the sky. A bright crescent moon shone in the sky. "The last light..." I breathed.

"Thalia...look!" Bilbo said, and I turned to find the most marvelous sight. The wall began to shine and I saw it. The keyhole!

"THORIN!" I called. "Come back!" Bilbo joined in, too. "It's the moon! The last moon of autumn!" I began to look on the ground.

"Where's the key?" I searched. Bilbo searched, too. "I found it!" I said happily, and I held the stone key in my palm and kissed it. "THORIN!!!" I called, and tried to get to Thorin, but I ended up tripping. I gripped the key against my chest and waited for impact. But I was saved by a firm but soft body.

I looked up and saw Thorin's. I smiled and held the key out to him. Thorin stared at it, and slowly took it from my palm. Then, he walked up to the wall where the keyhole shone as if it was in plain daylight. Thorin placed it in and slowly turned it.

He pressed his finger tips upon the surface and pushed. A large rectangular door appeared and swung inward. I stared wide-eyed as Thorin took the first step inside.

"Erebor." he breathed. I walked up behind him and wrapped my arms around his torso. I pressed my cheek against his back. "You did it, Thorin."
I said. "You're almost there now."

I heard a sob coming from him, and held him tighter. Then, I released him. Thorin faced me with a smile, and then he patted me on top of the head.

Bilbo walked in and saw a picture above the doorway. Balin came up behind him and told him what it meant. "The Arkenstone."

"Alright," he said. "And what's that?"

"That, Master Burglar." Thorin said, his voice echoing in the halls.

"Is why you're here."