Part 3- CHAPTER 1

BILBO'S POV

I watched in terror as the dragon Smaug destroyed Lake-town right before our eyes. Thalia hadn't said a word when she saw the first column of fire erupt on the forsaken place.

Thalia fell to her knees and covered her face with her hands and wept. I tried to comfort her, but it was no use. The first words came out of her mouth in sobs. "Kili...Fili...Bofur...Bard...all of them..." she wept.

She lifted her head faced me; her eyes were red and her face stained with tears. "Thorin..." she breathed deeply.
I sighed, and gazed over at our leader. He, too, hadn't said any words since the dragon raged over the lake. Nor has he turned away from the kingdom. He stared upon the broken entrance with his hands behind his back.

Then, he climbed down the rocks and made his way to the entrance. Thalia stood up and began to follow him, but I grabbed her arm. "Thorin is not himself." I warned. "I fear it's that sickness that Balin was talking about." Thalia stared at me, then gazed over at Thorin. Then, looking back at me, she gripped my arm. "Someone has to try." she said. "If not me, then you."

I didn't know what to think. I knew in my mind that it was stupid and dangerous to face Thorin in this stage of mind, but my heart told me that Thalia was right. Someone needed to talk to him. "Wait here. I'll talk to him." I said, and I kissed her forehead before heading towards the entrance of Erebor.

THALIA'S POV

I followed Bilbo. Seeing Thorin act the way he did, I didn't trust him with Bilbo alone. I crept behind the walls and kept my distance between me and Bilbo.

Not finding Thorin, Bilbo sat down against a pillar and looked like he was thinking about something troublesome. Then, he slowly slipped a small object from the inside pocket in his robe and cupped it to where I couldn't see. He stared down at it with anxiety and deep thought.

Suddenly, Thorin appeared from the corner. He wore a velvet robe with rich colors and a crown on his head. "What is that?" he called in a rough voice, startling Bilbo. He rushed his way to Bilbo and demanded to see what was in his hand. Bilbo uncupped his hand and revealed a large acorn.

"It's from Beorn's garden." Bilbo said. "I plan to plant it in my garden when...if I get home." Thorin's raging eyes turned soft.

"I'll watch it grow," Bilbo continued. "And one day I'll remember. Remember everything that's happen. The good, the bad. The ones who survived, and those who didn't."

Thorin smiled. It was the first time since we first entered the mountain that I've seen his smile. I watched as Thorin cupped the back of Bilbo's neck. He looked as if he was going to say something, but the sound of Kili and Fili's voice echoing in the halls.

I couldn't believe it. I rushed to the dining hall where the rest of the dwarves were celebrating the return of Fili, Kili, Bofur, and Oin. I rushed right into Kili's arms. He was all better and was strong. I pressed my face against his chest and let the tears of joy fall.

I touched his face. "I so relieved to see you ok and well." Kili brushed my tears away. "I'm ok now." he promised. I kissed his cheek, and pressed my forehead against his.

"Where's Thorin." he breathed. I sighed slowly. "He's in the Great Hall. Looking for it." Kili closed his eyes, as if in deep thought. Then, opening his eyes, he kissed me. "Thank you." he said, and left me.

Fili walked up to me and took me in his arms. I buried my face in his cloak. "I'm scared." I cried. "Thorin..." I couldn't finish. Fili stroked my hair and shushed me. "I know...it's going to ok though...you'll see." he assured me.

He released me and followed his brother. Bofur came up to me and hugged me. "I'm glad you're safe." I said, kissing his cheek. Bofur smiled. "Thanks, lass." Then, he leaned down to my ear. "Don't worry. Everything's going to be ok."

I smiled, and wiped away my tears. Yes, I thought. I know it will. As I returned into Bilbo's arms, I thought happy thoughts and smiled the whole way.