CHAPTER 8

BILBO'S POV

My world seemed to stop. It's like it all happened in slow motion. I awoke and saw it.

I screamed.

Thorin screamed, too, and drove one of Thalia's knives in the pale orc's throat. Then, he cradled the brave hobbit.

My legs began to work, and I sprinted to her side. "Thalia..." I choked on a sob when I saw her.

Her shirt was soaked with her blood and her body was shaking. She turned her head and smiled. "Bilbo...you're ok." Her eyes filled with tears.

"Thalia," I grasped her small hand and held it against my heart. "What were you thinking?" Thalia breathed in deeply. "I lost Kili," she cried. "I saw you hurt. Then...Thorin..." Tears rolled down the side of her head as she turned to face the dwarf. "I couldn't lose you, too."

Thorin swallowed Thalia's other hand in his and kissed it. "You shouldn't have done that. You should've just let me die." Thalia shook her head with a painful look. "No...you must live on...Thorin..." She breathed in and out with heavy effort.

"Please Thalia," I whimpered. "Don't leave me." Thalia's eyes met mine, and she forced a smile. "Bilbo...do you remember when we first met?" I nodded. New tears fell as she released my hand. She reached for something around her neck.

I gasped when she pulled out a green gem that hung on a piece of leather. That necklace. It can't be....

"You kept it all this time." I said. Thalia unraveled it and placed it in the palm of my hand. Then, she curled my fingers over it and pushed it towards me. "Now you keep it." she insisted. Her voice began to weaken.

"Thalia..." I sobbed. "Please...you can't leave me."

"Thalia..." Thorin choked on his tears. Thalia kept her eyes on me.

"I'm not leaving you..." she said weakly. Then, she placed her hand on my cheek and cupped my face.

"No matter how long or far apart we are...we will always...always...."

"Thalia? THALIA!!!!" I began to panic. "No! NO!!!! THALIA!!!!!"

Her eyes closed.

Her breathing stopped.

But a smile remained.

"THALIA!!!"